Railroad Forums 

• The Iaeger Drive In

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #574512  by Otto Vondrak

We're creating a diorama for a museum exhibit of the drive-in at Iaeger... anyone know if the line was single track or double track through there in 1956?
 #575004  by feltonhill

Track charts I have indicate the line was and is still double track through Yaeger.

FWIW, the two people in the car are still very much around, although they went their separate ways.
 #613747  by Otto Vondrak

The RIT Model Railroad Club was invited by the Eastman House to re-create the scene with a model-train diorama. The collaborative team included David Scheiderich, who spearheaded the project, and Otto Vondrak, a '99 graphic design alumnus who founded the railroad club in 1996 and now works as an art director in South Norwalk, Conn.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/app ... 8811090396

Here's our completed HO scale diorama, on display at the George Eastman House:

http://ritmrc.org/photos/v/misc/ritmrc/ ... c.jpg.html

The exhibit is in Rochester, New York, and runs through January:

http://eastmanhouse.org/trains/
 #621025  by Kuyahoora Valley

Otto:

Very cool...just wondering if you have the bicycle, whose handlebars are just visible to the right of the car in the foreground. Mr Link was fond of pointing that out as it represented another mode of transportation in this photo...train/car/plane/bike.
 #627208  by Otto Vondrak

Kuyahoora Valley wrote:Otto:

Very cool...just wondering if you have the bicycle, whose handlebars are just visible to the right of the car in the foreground. Mr Link was fond of pointing that out as it represented another mode of transportation in this photo...train/car/plane/bike.
Nope, no bike... but thanks for pointing out an interesting detail! :-)
 #627209  by Otto Vondrak

RussNelson wrote:Hmph. Not a very realistic diorama! EVERYTHING IS IN COLOR!

:-) Other than that minor quibble, well done, Otto!
lol - do you know how hard it is to get grayscale ground foam?? How's this?

Also, see the February 2009 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman for more information on how we put this diorama together.

-otto-
 #628015  by umtrr-author

Finally got over to the Eastman House last weekend to see the "Trains" exhibit including the diorama. I really don't have any excuses being that I live 5 minutes away...

Very nice job on the diorama. I think it adds a lot to the exhibit, which is excellent by the way-- suitable for railfans, photography fans and the general public, something that is not at all easy to pull off.

The exhibit closes on 25 January 09, so this is the "last chance" if you haven't been there.

Incidentally, I didn't realize that there is an HO Scale laser kit of the Green Cove station on the N&W, site of the "horse bowing to train" photo which is another of O. Winston Link's famous images, until I saw it on eBay! (It's made by King Mill, no affiliation.) Perhaps for the next exhibition, guys?
 #628360  by 3rdrail

Nice work, Otto. I'll have to pick up an RMC and take a look. Would love to see it in person. For your next creation, how about a recreation of the "Steam Loco Tug-Of-War" in "Danger Lights" ? (now playing at a RR.Net near you)