Railroad Forums 

• N&W, "Jawn Henry"- Operators Manual

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #1441285  by Motorman

Good Morning.
Believe it or not,
on a flea-market, here in Germany(!), I found an "Operators Manual"
for the steam-turbine loco "Jawn Henry", of the N&W.
Condition is excellent, and I payed only 1€, because the seller didn't speak english and
he didn't know what it was about. :-D
So, my question:
Is this a rarity, should I put it in a safe? :wink:
I don't think that may of them survived.
 #1441314  by mp15ac

I don't think that they are that rare.

When Alco Models imported their HO scale brass model of the Jawn Henry 37 years ago they included a copy of the operators manual (I have both the model and the manual).

If you want something interesting and informative to read about the Jawn Henry pick up a copy of Rails Remembered Volume 4 The Tale of a Turbine, by Louis M. Newton. It tells the whole story of the Jawn Henry, from inception of the project to it's final end.

Stuart
 #1441334  by Motorman

Thankyou-
I didn't know about that model, this is the only logic explanation how this book has come over here. :wink:
I'm very interested in "glorious technical failures", hehe, and the steam-turbine-technolgy, applied to railroads, is
a wonderful example for this. :-D
When I read this book,
I was wondering how it could be possible to operate a mobile high pressure steam-electricity-generating-plant.
And as it turned out, it wasn't. :P