Railroad Forums 

• Parallel Trains Window-To-Window

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#923332  by eagle628

Not exactly window to window, but I was heading south on the Silver Meteor a few days ago and we paced a MARC train for several miles; the MARC HHP-8 ended up right outside my window. Kind of intimidating to have that big engine howling a few feet away at probably 100 mph or so...
 #923351  by shlustig

From many years ago, at Shell Int. @ New Rochelle:
#1362 with a Jet routed 2 to 1;
#1360 with a Jet routed 4 to 2;
Penn job with a GG-1 routed Branch to 4; and
all side-by-side-by-side Shell to Pike.
 #923369  by cobra30689

shlustig wrote:From many years ago, at Shell Int. @ New Rochelle:
Now THAT is what you call a drag race. Wonder how well Cos Cob rolled through that little spike when everyone notched out lol
 #923387  by twropr

What a fascinating report! As I recall Rule 261 was in effect Shell-Pike at that time. At least one of the three would have needed to back off prior to reaching Pike - how did this work? I am also guessing that #1362 would proceed east from Pike on TK 2 and the Penn job on #4 - is this correct?
Thanks for recalling this,

Andy
shlustig wrote:From many years ago, at Shell Int. @ New Rochelle:
 #923390  by lstone19

Metra 2235 departing CUS-N at 5:05pm and Amtrak 339 (Hiawatha) departing at 5:08pm are good for this. 2235 (which I ride frequently) stops at Western Ave and 339 does not so if the timing is right, 339 will catch us as we pull. One afternoon, we were matched at 60mph for two miles or so until we had to start slowing for the curve at A-5 (Pacific Jct.). 339 goes out Track 1 while 2235 is on 3 with Track 2 being used by eastbounds. Imagine the feeling of being headed in on 2 as two trains come at you side-by-side and you're going to split them.
 #923405  by Ridgefielder

I'd say this is pretty common in the 4-track territory on the NEC, not to mention on the Hudson Division (and MNRR through the Bronx). I've had it happen many times coming into/out of Stamford, although I'm usually on the commuter train. I remember being on a Danbury through train in the late '90s and runnning neck and neck with a then-brand-new Acela from around Rye to somewhere past Greenwich, where our two 40+ year old FL9's-- New Haven paint and all-- pulled far into the lead.

O/T but there's an Agatha Christie mystery novel based on this-- someone witnesses a murder in a compartment on another train running on a paralell track. Can't remember the title though.
 #923410  by srock1028

One night, I was on the head end of NJT 2311 and A2119 pulled along side of us right before Elizabeth. We went around the S Curves right next to eachother. A few people looked out of the window up at me with a big smile. As soon as we cleared Elmora Interlocking, the Acela took off and the drag race was over. Acela - 1 NJT 2311 - 0
 #923420  by JimBoylan

I rode the last Daylight Speedliner, a 3 car Rail Diesel Car train on the Baltimore & Ohio RR out of Washington Union Station to Philadelphia at 5:55 p.m. the last weekend of April, 1958. The engineer took his time leaving so that the 6:00 p.m. Pennsylvania RR train could catch up and have a pace and race past Ivy City. Too soon, the railroads separated, and the competition was due into 30th St. Station, Philadelphia at 8:15 p.m., while we weren't due into 24th St. Station on the other side of the Schuylkill River until 8:20 p.m.
 #923448  by HBLR

cobra30689 wrote:Along the same lines...going east at Elmora on 2 track...you catch up with a local in the turnout from A to 1....folks do look a little wigged out cause they think the two trains are gonna whack each other lol
You would not believe how many times noobs/tourists get freaked out on PATH when amtrak or NJT decides to show up as we are coming into harrison for a stop, the trains get about 1-2 feet from each other. Especially when it's a multilevel set, all you see is a giant wall of train coming closer & closer. My favorite has to be when a coast line diesel pulls in on track 1 or A and the train i'm on takes the other track. Usually the diesel moves out first on towards a yard or hoboken.
 #923570  by byte

IRM has done a train race for the past two years on its annual "Snowflake Special" charter train on the CTA "L:"

2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFRrQkuLILQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDhosPAK ... re=related

2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvrEgXVWHI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVloPH7f ... re=related

(as you can see, the CTA kindly puts up with some of our more "unorthodox" requests...)
 #925073  by timberley

I was watching a video of German ICE trains the other day, which included footage of two ICE's running next to each other at speed...quite a sight!

Here it is: Watch from 2:03 to 2:14 to see what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo9-9rm8Tdg
 #934697  by justalurker66

HBLR wrote:You would not believe how many times noobs/tourists get freaked out on PATH when amtrak or NJT decides to show up as we are coming into harrison for a stop, the trains get about 1-2 feet from each other.
Most tourists (of those who don't understand trains) don't know or think about the amount of control involved. They are familiar with highway traffic with a semi in the next lane that they breathe easier when it isn't there. And they are used to vehicles passing, not pacing, especially when there is no path left for opposing traffic.

With experience comes comfort. Those who drive or ride in cars a lot get used to having semis feet away at speed ... and while one of those vehicles could change lanes at any time (with no rails engineered to keep vehicles in their lane - only an often faded line of paint and reflective "cats eyes" on some roads) in their experience that rarely happens. Those who ride (or drive) trains a lot get used to the opposing train meets and passing or pacing trains. And while on a two lane road having another vehicle pace you around curves and over hills is dangerous, on railroads it is generally safe. That other train wouldn't be there without permission.

And that is the key thing to remember ... it is all under control.

It is fun when it happens ... especially on "competing" lines. Side by side tracks could put riders in different trains closer to each other than riders in their own train. Having an opposing train split the middle would be a shocking disruption if one was casually enjoying the view of the other train.
 #952665  by westriverrr

A year or two ago, I saw an Australian train video on RFD TV's "Trains and Locomotives". Much of the video involved steam powered fantrips racing each other on parallel tracks as the trains passed the lead back and forth. Since seeing that video I've looked in vain to purchase it. For parallel window-to-window fans it's about the best I've seen. Anyone know where to get the video? Thanks
 #952722  by Ocala Mike

westriverrr wrote:A year or two ago, I saw an Australian train video on RFD TV's "Trains and Locomotives". Much of the video involved steam powered fantrips racing each other on parallel tracks as the trains passed the lead back and forth. Since seeing that video I've looked in vain to purchase it. For parallel window-to-window fans it's about the best I've seen. Anyone know where to get the video? Thanks

Here's a possible starting point: http://www.railfanshop.com.au/

Good luck!