Railroad Forums 

• Whats Your Favorite Spot?

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#604405  by John_Perkowski

I've got several...

My daily commute is along the BNSF (BN, CB&Q) mainline from Kansas City to Lincoln. Coal unit trains, grain unit trains, manifests, business specials, rail, the "circus train" (gandy dancer variety) ... if you have a long view, it'll come by.

Downtown Kansas City, at Union Station, is another place.

Reno, NV, on the UP (SP) mainline.

For sheer beauty, no one can beat Refugio State Beach in Santa Barbara County California. I had one spot where I could see freights and the Daylight through about a 2 mile view vantage :)

Omaha too, at the Durham Western Heritage Museum or the Amschack.
 #630682  by thaitransit

For me my favourite spot is at Hin Lap on the Main line to Ubon Ratchthani. Great mountainous and forest view and friendly station staff who let you know when the trains are due 15 mins before they get there so you can get into the right spot for the pics. Its only problem is its very remote and only accessible by rail on 2 trains a day. Also you have to bring food and drinks with you as there is no shops of any kind. But its worth the long trip by non aircon train.
 #777544  by miklin

North East, Pa (15 miles east of Erie): at the station (museum) downtown: double track CSX and NS main are side by side. Incredibly busy.
Bayview Junction (Burlington, Ontario): CN Oakville sub, CN Grimsby Sub, CN Dundas Sub, CP Hamilton sub: GO, CN, CP, Amtrak, VIA, Railink Hamilton Yard two miles, Two steel company private railroads in Hamilton. Scenic bridge over the tracks as part of the Royal Botanical Gardens (use Laking Gardens parking lot) Good restaurants and motels close by.
Leaside (Toronto), Ontario-CP Main Line-old RDC commuter stop behind the ESSO station (Laird Drive Area)
Washago Ontario-junction of the CN Newmarket and Bala subs. If you are visiting Toronto, you can take ONR's Northlander(usually has an ONR GP38-2 and rebuilt GO single level cars as the consist) from Toronto to Washago and return and it makes a nice day trip. Check ONR's website for times. Believe it runs everyday except Saturday.
 #842495  by JLJ061

In Indiana:
South Bend (CP 437)
Porter Jct (CP 482)
Ogden Dunes
Pine Jct.
Griffith
Hohman Ave.
Indiana Harbor (CP 502)
Hammond-Whiting Depot
Wellsboro

In Illinois:
Dolton
Blue Island
Bensenville
Elmhurst
Joliet Union Station
La Grange
 #842498  by 3rdrail

Past (tie) ~ over the Boston-Providence Main Line, Boston, on the Tollgate Bridge.
or
The Arborway Terminal, Boston.

Present ~ Jackson/Jefferson, SF
 #1013694  by Norge

The Bowie RR Museum in Maryland is a great spot. My family and I were in the area for a few weeks in 2006 and picnicked on a hill and watched the MARC and Acela trains run past. Great spot for pictures
 #1029720  by Forest Glen

Newark Penn Station

There's PATH, New Jersey Transit, Amtrak, and the Newark light rail. 30th Street Station in Philly is another good choice-Amtrak, the SEPTA Subway, trolley, Regional Rail
 #1173316  by fl9m2004

I prefer the metro north main line
I go to Rowayton station twice a week
You can see up to 15-25 trains during pm rush
Including up to 7 Amtrack's and 8 aceals's
Shore Line East 2 trains within 10 minutes
Plus Danbury and 1 Waterbury train
Regular metro north trains
 #1464235  by Ronal U18C Indonesia

trainfreak wrote:Hey forum. What is your favorite spot to railfan? Mine would be in Ridgefeild (spelling?) Park, New Jersey. There you can watch the CSX Riverline which is double track through the area plus you have the NYSW main and a small yard that the NYSW sitches reguraly. So along with a good amount of CSX freights you could also get to see the NYSW switch. Well thats my favorite spot. Whats yours?
I am : "C" bend letter under Surabaya-Mojokerto highway fly over(1)Crossing Railroad number 23 Sepanjang(2)Climb ways at Ketegan(3)
 #1591126  by RRspatch2

I grew up in New Carrollton next to the NEC. As a kid I used to hang out at the Capital Beltway station. Therefore any spot along the NEC would do. Of course now that I live in Fort Worth it's usually Saginaw (BNSF/UP/Amtrak) or Tower 55 (BNSF/UP/Amtrak/TRE).