Railroad Forums 

• Mississippi River Flooding & the KCS

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#929275  by Ridgefielder

Two questions for you folks, since I'm not familiar with the geography of this part of the South:

Will the Corps of Engineers plan to open the Morganza Spillway to allow Mississippi River overflow into the Atchafalaya affect the KCS line to New Orleans?

If the river gets away from the Corps at Old River Control and sends a much-larger-than-normal volume down the Atchafalaya, would the bridge at Simmesport hold, or could the structure become unsound?
 #938047  by NYNE

I saw the Morganza after it opened and it didn't have much of an impact. When they opened the gates they closed the road and railroad over the Morganza structure, but when they were finished the cars, trucks and trains kept rolling again. Here is a blog entry I did with a photo of a KCS freight waiting to go north: http://twentystates.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... siana.html As far as the fear of the river getting away from the Army Corps of Engineers, it didn't, as you know.