Railroad Forums 

• Identifying KCS Train Symbols...

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#411983  by Wanderer

Hey all,

At some point this year I'll be doing some railfanning on KCS in Mississippi and Arkansas. But I had one question, as I am unfamiliar with the system. I downloaded the train symbols list from the KCSHS, but how do you match the train symbols to the train?

Do they call signals, respond to detectors, or the like? If not, what is the best way to find out the symbol of the train you are looking at?

Thanks in advance guys. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Matt (MJR)

#412011  by resauto

Yes we do call out signals, and you will hear the detector go off with mile post. As far as train symbols, its real hard to know what they are unless you are actually on the train or are an employee, like my self, who can actually look up the train consist ect... our system is pretty busy if you plan on railfanning in Arkansas, you will see alot of coal trains and alot of grain trains from Mexico. On the Miss. side you will see alot of our intermodal traffic on route to Atlanta. Don't hesitate to ask me anything about our RR or the train symbols

#412181  by Wanderer

resauto wrote:Yes we do call out signals, and you will hear the detector go off with mile post. As far as train symbols, its real hard to know what they are unless you are actually on the train or are an employee, like my self, who can actually look up the train consist ect... our system is pretty busy if you plan on railfanning in Arkansas, you will see alot of coal trains and alot of grain trains from Mexico. On the Miss. side you will see alot of our intermodal traffic on route to Atlanta. Don't hesitate to ask me anything about our RR or the train symbols
Thanks! It's a few months off yet, but I will definately post my O/S report. Any help when I do would be GREATLY appreciated.

I've sort of become fascinated with your operations. I'm probably going to be on the Meridian Sub somewhere in old Mississippi. I'll probably plan something deeper into the system also where there is a TON of action. I saw you mentioned Shreveport, Louisiana being the system hub. Any nice spots around there to sit and watch trains??

#412220  by resauto

Well you can see the yard from Blanchard street after crossing Cross Lake. You can go around the whole yard and see whats going on from the street. It really depends what kind of train traffic you want to see, Honestly, some of the areas in Shreveport are not exactly the safest place you want to be hanging around. If I were you, I would just follow one of our main lines North, South, East West, and follow it down a few miles in a safer part of the city. We run tons of different types locos and its always a guess on whats going to come by. Feel free to ask me whats what or if you have a quesition about a location, I might be able to answer by looking at the timetable

#412270  by Wanderer

I'm an operations guy. I'm more of a train logger (sort of like dispatcher block sheets) than a photographer. I like finding a place to sit, take notes, and enjoy the trains/experience. I look more for volume than type. Which ever line in the area sees the best traffic level works for me. It's all going to be my first KCS experience, so I am more in it for the fun than any kind of specific content. Does that lead to any specific suggestions?

If you have any places out there in Texas, as you noted in another thread, or any other really specific hot spots in the system with an overall busy line-up I wouldn't mind those either. My original plan was mostly for the Meridian Subdivision, but I'm open to ideas. Distance really isn't an issue for some good railroading. It's cool to see how many different locomotives, train symbols, and such you can manage to get in a trip.

#412325  by resauto

Pittsburg Kansas would be by bar my first choice. Around 35 trains a day are called for Pittsburg crews, inbound/outbound. 2nd choice would of course be shreveport, with a 3rd choice being Mississippi. Even Heavener Oklahoma would be great, most everything from Pittsburg goes through Heavener down south to Shreveport

#412326  by resauto

:P

#412404  by Wanderer

Cool. Thanks Resauto. I'll take you up on your help offer after the trip later this year too. Thanks again man, I greatly appreciated.

#412687  by resauto

Not a problem! It's good to see some interest in our RR! Just keep me posted on your plans and maybe I could mail you a timetable if you want

#413015  by Wanderer

resauto wrote:Not a problem! It's good to see some interest in our RR! Just keep me posted on your plans and maybe I could mail you a timetable if you want
Will do! My interest is growing the more I research. I may very well be taking your suggestion of your first choice...Pittsburgh, KS. Looks like a nice place. I'll let you know.

-Matt

#419342  by lakeshoredave

Identifying KCS train symbols is very hard to do.

Signed,
Getting College Football To Abolish The BCS