Railroad Forums 

• Crew Change Points

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1509307  by John23

Any current or former workers know where the crew change point(s) are if hired out of New Orleans,LA?

What about if hired out of Baton Rouge, LA?

Thanks
 #1509657  by riffian

Crew change point between Shreveport and New Orleans is Latanier Yard, just south of Alexandria. Most New Orleans based crews actually work out of Reserve, LA about 20 miles upriver from NO. Baton Rouge is all yard/industrial work. There is only one road train a day between Shreveport and NO and it goes directly to the CSX Gentilly Yard in New Orleans East with an NOPB crew. Trains MSHCX and MCXSH change from a KCS to NOPB crew at Frellsen Junction, out by the airport. The only thing actually running out of New Orleans is a 5 day a week Baton Rouge turn and a daytime West Yard switch job. Hiring out at either place will entail all yard and industrial locals.
 #1509760  by John23

If hiring out of New Orleans or Baton Rouge mainly entails yard work, is it a pretty regular schedule or just any time day or night?
 #1509829  by riffian

Wouldn't want to speculate where and when you will work should you get hired. You will be on the least desirable assignments which will most likely translate into nights or the extra board. One thing about the L&A side is that they are almost all regular local assignments so you should be home in your own bed every night (more likely every day).
 #1509841  by John23

Is it most likely going to be a 7 day a week job? I know you don’t want to speculate but just curious how many hours it averages in a week. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
 #1509884  by riffian

Sorry - can't provide any more detailed info. My only advice is if you live in the area, for you to stop be the KCS yard office on Rosenwald Street in Reserve, LA and see if an employee is available to answer questions. Not sure what kind of reception you might receive, but most people in Louisiana are quite friendly. The office in Baton Rouge is in the former KCS passenger station at the end of Foss Street but I'm pretty sure its surrounded by a fence with an automatic gate.....pretty bad neighborhood. The only other manned KCS office I'm aware of south of Deramus Yard in Shreveport is the office at Latanier Yard, five miles south of Alexandria right along Louisiana State Route One. Good luck!