Railroad Forums 

• A QUESTION REGARDING THE KCS F-40-PH.............

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#175944  by meh

CabooseKid wrote:Rumor has it these are the engines that KCS sent to it subsidary Panama Canal Railroad in Panama, have not see any pics of them down there or confirmed that rumor. But, I do know that if that is the case that regearing is also a gage adjustment since PCRR is Broad Gage (5'0"). I know that they use F40PH on the line right now.

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/A ... 6yfxri.asp
But the very article you cite specifically states that the PCRR is not wide gauge.
trains.com on 1 Aug 2001 wrote:Reconstruction of the line began in February 2000, which included converting the tracks from 5-foot gauge to standard gauge. PCRC began executive passenger service on Monday, July 2, 2001.
This does not necessarily mean that the F40C rumor you mention is also false (since you may have learned this information from different sources), but it does illustrate the uncertainty of such rumors. Since the article is more than four years old, it could not be expected to address the post-Metra disposition of the F40Cs; those units were still in daily service on Metra at that time. All recent reports I have seen still place the F40Cs at Mid-America Car in Kansas City, in St. Louis, one in downstate Illinios, and two still at the Metra Western Ave. yard.
 #233920  by atlpete

So if I was the site moderator of this particular forum I guess I would refer you to a website where the disposition of these fine locomotives was being actively discussed since I guess the KCS deal is off and they're being scattered to the wind of the used/rebuild/scrap market?