Railroad Forums 

• A QUESTION REGARDING THE KCS F-40-PH.............

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#119942  by AmtrakFan

No they won't be because of gearing issues.

#128626  by F40CFan

Any updates? Are they still being regeared by Helm?
 #137151  by Amtrak31

F40CFan, I hear they will be regeared by Helm.

#137261  by F40CFan

Thanks. Any idea on a timetable. KCS was supposed to use them until fall when new power arrives. If they don't get regeared soon, there's no purpose in doing it.

#137425  by Realityrail

Helm was offering a great short term lease rate to KCS. When KCS announced that the units needed to be regeared at Helm's expense, Helm "busted" the deal.

The last news I heard is that the units are stored pending a lease, or dismantling for parts.

#139088  by F40CFan

Thanks for the update.

#139580  by TerryC

So the units seem up for grabs? Would Helm Leasing sell these to another railroad if it was for their scrap value or for their running value?

keep asking keep learning
Last edited by TerryC on Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

#139594  by AmtrakFan

Terry,
You aren't being pessmitic they would be up for grabs.

#139595  by F40CFan

What about 610 in Dixmore. Anyone hear anything about that one?

#146421  by Amtrak31

Very cool picture. A friend of mine took that photo. Lots of good stuff at NRE! :-)

#167480  by CabooseKid

Rumor has it these are the engines that KCS sent to it subsidary Panama Canal Railroad in Panama, have not see any pics of them down there or confirmed that rumor. But, I do know that if that is the case that regearing is also a gage adjustment since PCRR is Broad Gage (5'0"). I know that they use F40PH on the line right now.

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/A ... 6yfxri.asp

http://www.trainweb.org/panama/

trivia... the color scheme on the F40's are the same one as where on the E's that pulled The Southern Belle