Did Atlantic Coast Line have its own signal aspects

This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

WhartonAndNorthern

Did Atlantic Coast Line have its own signal aspects

Post by WhartonAndNorthern » Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am

Looking at a compilation of the CSX signal rules, one sees "standard" rules (Seaboard or B&O), C&O rules, and ex-Conrail (NORAC) rules. The ETT for the RF&P sub explains its cab signal aspects. Yet, I don't see anything for the ex-ACL. I know they historically used three-color searchlights. Did they have a the same set of aspects as SAL, or were signals on ex-ACL lines standardized in the SCL, Seaboard System, or CSX eras?

mmi16

Re: Did Atlantic Coast Line have its own signal aspects

Post by mmi16 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:34 pm

All railroads had their own signal aspect back in the day. Many of them were similar company to company - BUT many were not.

I believe there was a Chicago commuter train derailment 15 or 20 years ago. The engineer HAD been an employee of one railroad and then became employed by another carrier - The signals displayed a indication to move over a crossover at 10 MPH or thereabouts. The engineer 'read' the signal as permitting Limited Speed or 45 MPH or thereabouts. The resulting derailment killed several people.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Return to “General Discussion: Fallen Flags”