Railroad Forums 

• Why airlines want you to go by train

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1526805  by David Benton

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

"Dutch airline KLM recently announced plans to partner with European train companies Thalys and NS to replace one of its five daily flights between Amsterdam and Brussels with a high-speed rail service."
 #1526853  by Benny

I think because of the non convenience of some flights as made Alitalia 20 years ago with the "surface flights" (apart that make Amsterdam--Brussels by plane is a nonsense.... )

Ciao :wink:
 #1526942  by eolesen

Hardly a new approach.

Lufthansa has been operating "train flights" at Frankfurt with DB for decades. Air France had it with SNCF for a while as well.
 #1527206  by David Benton

Yes , I remember the German "plane trains", from my "World's Railways" type books back in the eighties.
What would be interesting would be where a railway service allows a airline to compete into a hub that it currently does not serve.
I.e in this case , a Belgium Airline uses the train to serve Schiphol Airport. Presuming their is a Belgium Airline, my knowledge of European airlines is not great.