Railroad Forums 

• G&W to sell stake in Australian operations

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1515938  by David Benton

"TORONTO — Genesee & Wyoming is pulling out of Australia.

The short line holding company is selling its 51% stake in its Australia operations, which serves New South Wales, the Northern Territory, and South Australia, including the 1,400-mile Tarcoola to Darwin rail line."
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... es-private
 #1515963  by Jeff Smith

Thanks for posting; I"m cross-threading to G&W and then returning.

I think I saw something on this as well; can't remember, but were there regulatory difficulties down under for G&W? Not surprised in any case with the potential acquisition of G&W; rationalizing the system I suppose, cashing out, etc.
 #1515968  by NorthWest

The main issue is that Brookfield has substantial investments in other Australian railway elements, including ownership of much of the Western Australia network. If there weren't potential competition concerns I doubt G&WA would be sold off.

It will be interesting to see if the brand will be changed in a couple years.
 #1515987  by David Benton

Not sure Jeff, but I doubt there is any expectation of competition on the Darwin route.Perhaps in lieu of that , there is some kind of price control or capping in place. Will research the Australian franchising system when I get time , as I am interested how it works too.