Railroad Forums 

• UK Steam trains face new tougher safety rules

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1514841  by David Benton

Historic steam trains - like the "Harry Potter" Jacobite Express in Scotland - could be forced off the tracks unless they fork out millions to comply with tough new health and safety laws, a railway boss has warned.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... -heritage/
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... e-railways
 #1514892  by ExCon90

Seems like the FRA has no monopoly on nervous nellies. In the US there is legislation that regulations of this type are subject to a requirement for a period of public comment lasting several months, after which the regulatory agency involved must consider such comments when formulating a final rule; any person may comment. Is there any such provision under British law, or is the announcement final as it stands? If it is, it looks like the end of a lot of historic train operations, along with ruinous financial consequences to the organizations which have devoted so much time, money, and effort with admirable results. I recall that in order to alight from a Mark I carriage it was necessary to lower the window and reach outside to open the door using the outside handle. (I assume that was to ensure that there were no projecting inside handles which a passenger could bump against.) During all the Mark I years did large-scale carnage result from such a hazard? For that matter, there was no impediment to opening the door before the train came to a stop--people were expected to have some common sense, and apparently they largely did.
 #1515079  by johnthefireman

I was under the impression that there was some leeway for "grandfather rights", whereby historic equipment which was originally deemed to be safe is allowed to operate under similar conditions to its original usage without having to be recertified under stringent new safety requirements. Apparently not any more.
people were expected to have some common sense, and apparently they largely did.
True. It amazes me how little common sense people have nowadays. Driving through red lights at a level crossing (grade crossing). Wearing headphones and looking down concentrating on a mobile phone while crossing a road or a railway line, or worse still while cycling. Blindly following a satnav even when it leads into what is obviously a wrong and/or dangerous situation. Taking selfies in the path of a train (and in many other dangerous situations). The list goes on and on.
 #1515098  by David Benton

Been glued to their phone is a culprit in many cases. But I think photographers have always been a danger around trains.
It is unclear if this applies to all heritage operations , or just those running mainline excursions using heritage stock .