Railroad Forums 

• Steel sleeper system trialled on Goldfields freight line

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1513662  by David Benton

It appears the main advantage here is the sleeper(tie) already has the railplate and fasteners etc attached before been moved to installation site. Quite a good idea in the Aussie desert heat.
https://www.railexpress.com.au/steel-sl ... ight-line/
 #1513682  by NaugyRR

Won't the steel ties expand in the extreme heat the same way rails do? How will that affect track stability and gauge retention?
 #1513733  by David Benton

A good point. I know they can make steel that will expand in one direction more than others , so maybe they make them expand more vertically .
The only other thing i can think of is everything would be expanding at the same rate , so it wouldn't tend to kink .
 #1513742  by Benny

Steel sleepers (surely far more basic) are used by a long time in Swiss narrow gauge railways, e.g. RhB. And differences in weather can be strong there too. I experienced on the Gotthard Pass, snow and 30 centigrade degrees in the time arch of 2 hours.

Ciao :wink:
 #1515346  by johnthefireman

Steel sleepers are common in South Africa and have been for many years. I have never heard discussions about expansion in hot weather there. Main problem is theft of sleepers (as well as theft of cables and even rails). The steel sleepers have a value as scrap, while wooden sleepers have a value for being turned into expensive furniture. I don't believe anyone has yet found a use for stolen concrete sleepers.
 #1515349  by David Benton

concrete sleepers(ties) are a bit of a disposal problem, I think . I would have thought they would be good for earth stabilisation works etc , but haven't seen them used for that . Concrete power poles the same apparently .
Years ago , I "won" some concrete sleepers on our local version of Ebay , for $ 1 each .
I rocked up in my mid size truck , thinking to grab 10 or 20 . By the time we had loaded the 5th one in , by a combination of forklift , front end loader and muscle power , we decided that was enough . To make it worst I had to unload them on my own at my end . Never again was the executive decision.
 #1515388  by David Benton

Apparently there is machinery to reduce them to rubble. https://youtu.be/yvySDCyctcU
Versus a steel sleeper that can be melted or rerolled for 100 % reusability.
Another advantage of steel is that they could be welded, should that kind of damage occur. For example damage from trailing gear.
 #1515545  by David Benton

One thing I have always thought would be a good idea is a fixed track set, similar to model train track pieces. This welded track would suit that .
I am thinking for building tracks into forests for following tree harvesting , but also would be handy to bypass derailments etc.
something with larger sleeper area that doesn't require ballast would be ideal .
 #1515563  by johnthefireman

I've worked with track panels in South Africa - a piece of track a few metres long (can't remember exactly how long) with steel sleepers, which can be moved into place and then bolted to the next piece. In our case we lifted old disused track in panels and relaid it in our depot. It only really works with old-fashioned track where lengths are bolted together, not with continuously-welded track, so I doubt whether anybody would want to use it for major running lines, only in sidings perhaps.

Throughout the world nowadays I believe most running lines are continuously welded, and track is laid by specially designed works trains where the whole procedure is automated. It's much quicker, safer and cost-effective than using track panels, produces a better end result, and uses less labour.
 #1515702  by ExCon90

Fascinating to watch. Amtrak did their Northeast Corridor (four tracks through my area); the whole Track Laying Machine (TLM) must be about a quarter of a mile long, with concrete sleepers (fed in from flatcars in front) dropped one by one into place on the ballast as the whole entourage moves slowly forward, and continuous welded rails slung along either side being gradually drawn inward and dropped onto the sleepers. Something else comes along next to secure the sleepers to the rails. Looks like about six people doing the whole thing. Watching the sleepers dropping onto the ballast one by one reminded me for all the world of a National Geographic video I once saw showing sea turtles laying eggs in the sand.
 #1515705  by ExCon90

Fascinating to watch. Amtrak did their Northeast Corridor (four tracks through my area); the whole Track Laying Machine (TLM) must be about a quarter of a mile long, with concrete sleepers (fed in from flatcars in front) dropped one by one into place on the ballast as the whole entourage moves slowly forward, and continuous welded rails slung along either side being gradually drawn inward and dropped onto the sleepers. Something else comes along next to secure the sleepers to the rails. Looks like about six people doing the whole thing. Watching the sleepers dropping onto the ballast one by one reminded me for all the world of a National Geographic video I once saw showing sea turtles laying eggs in the sand.
 #1515946  by johnthefireman

A couple of YouTube videos of tracklaying machines. To my surprise the Chinese are using track panels on the Kenyan standard gauge railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faPQm_BdQP0

A more common way of doing it - "High output railway track laying machine Plasser & Theurer ZUSW-500 renewing sleepers and rails with the assembly-line method for the high-speed railway line Hannover-Göttingen on June 30, 2019."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMXfU8blPMM
 #1515949  by David Benton

Thanks John. Possibly due to restrictions on the length of rail that could be transported. What I found strange were the holes drilled for "fishplates". Surely they would weld most joints , with a bolted join every 100 metres or so . I wonder if they still use the thermit weld process ?
 #1515950  by johnthefireman

Yes, I was also surprised at the fishplate holes as I had assumed it would be continuously welded. I don't know what method they are using. I need to go and have a good look at the track sometime, but unlike the old metre-gauge railway the new standard gauge is fenced and it's not so easy to get near it.