• CCTV shows Polish man being shoved onto train tracks in Lond

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by philipmartin

That's not unheard of in my part of the world. Here's a similar incident that occurred yesterday, with an unusual twist, and no serious injury. http://6abc.com/news/police-woman-throw ... -/1726064/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:Man who pushed Polish man on to tube tracks jailed for 10 years
New stations on the Underground are fitted with platform doors. I suspect all the new platforms on the Crossrail line will have them. Probably it would cost too much to fit them to existing stations, but it shows that designers have accepted that people falling on to the track is a potential problem.
  by Semaphore Sam

Probably it would cost too much to fit them to existing stations, but it shows that designers have accepted that people falling on to the track is a potential problem.
It seems falling on the tracks is not the issue; recently there seems to be an increasing occurrence of people being pushed onto the tracks. As a general rule, it pays to stay as far away from the edge as possible, to preclude psychos doing' the dirty. Sam
  by David Benton

I am surprised he said he got a shock , as I thought the running rails and the centre rail were earthed, the outer rail been the live wire. perhaps what he felt was a signal voltage (50 volts or so ), or there was a train in the section , and resistance meant there was some voltage in the earth rails. I'm sure if it was a live rail he would have been toast , rubber soled shoes or not.
the trench in the center is meant as a refuge, someone unconscious would hopefully end up down there instead of across the rails. I would think an emergency responder would also push someone in there if a train was coming , and there wasn't time to get them back up on the platform.
  by george matthews

Semaphore Sam wrote:
Probably it would cost too much to fit them to existing stations, but it shows that designers have accepted that people falling on to the track is a potential problem.
It seems falling on the tracks is not the issue; recently there seems to be an increasing occurrence of people being pushed onto the tracks. As a general rule, it pays to stay as far away from the edge as possible, to preclude psychos doing' the dirty. Sam
The number of people using the Underground is increasing all the time. The danger, even for accidental falls, is increasing as the platforms are becoming more crowded at busy times.
  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:That's not unheard of in my part of the world. Here's a similar incident that occurred yesterday, with an unusual twist, and no serious injury. http://6abc.com/news/police-woman-throw ... -/1726064/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/ ... /97611426/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;