Railroad Forums 

• Cork-Dublin-Belfast-Derry Direct Rail Link By 2020?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1411613  by NH2060

From the Belfast Telegraph:
The proposed cross-border railway investment - part of a "high-level study" into expanding an eastern economic corridor - will also reach as far as Cork on the southern tip of the island, he told a parliamentary committee.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 72798.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1411619  by george matthews

My impression is that this would only need a train starting in Londonderry and ending in Cork. i.e. it needs no infrastructure changes. Presumably the NI track would be suitable. But of course it also assumes that Brexit, if it actually happens, will not interfere with the journey.

I don't know whether the platforms in Derry are long enough.
 #1411653  by NH2060

I think capacity enhancements north of Newry are under consideration as well (perhaps in an attempt to extend local/commuter rail service south from Portadown and to presumably also allow Newry-Portadown-Belfast-Bangor direct trains). I would imagine a third track would be needed in places just to allow more frequencies. The real question should be what type of equipment will be purchased and how much. More CAF DMUs aren't exactly "intercity" worthy, but they seem to have worked well enough for Translink to have ordered the 4000s.

As long as they're not talking about electrification (which would cost a lot more) I think this has a chance of happening Brexit or no Brexit. Perhaps it would help set in motion the necessary steps to be taken in order to merge the operations of both carriers. I'm sure Iarnrod Eireann wouldn't mind as they're pretty much at risk of going bottom-of-the-well broke.

RE: the platform at Derry: it can hold 5-6 cars depending on which track. But with plans for a 26 Million-pound transportation hub I don't see how that wouldn't include longer platforms and perhaps 1-3 more tracks which would turn it into a proper terminus. Tweedbank at the end of the Borders Railway has a better setup with its very wide and long island platform; I think that can accommodate 8-10 cars(?). The trackage in the vicinity of the train station is a mere shadow of what used to exist in the late 1980s/early 1990s.