Railroad Forums 

• Major overhaul of British railroads proposed

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1411510  by David Benton

Interesting. No mention that Network Rail was privatised , turned into a disaster, and had to be nationlised.
Still , there does seem to be a problem with the current setup, mostly caused by "pass the buck " clauses , at $100's of dollars per minute penalty clause.
 #1411534  by george matthews

The minister has announced that a new line being renewed from Oxford to Cambridge will not be owned by Network Rail but will be an integrated structure owned by the operating company - in fact a traditional railway where the track owner operated the trains. I think it shows that the present government have no overall plan for railways and really don't understand what is best. Many of them hanker after privatising Network Rail. How this line will cooperate with the rest of the system has not been revealed.
 #1411568  by johnthefireman

David Benton wrote:They were working on connecting branchlines up,to create a "Oxbridge" service, when i was there early 90's. Wasn't going to be high speed though.
Yes, the goal of recreating an east-west Cambridge to Oxford line has been talked about for years. Apart from the advantages for passengers, it would also be useful as a new route for goods traffic from the east coast ports such as Felixstowe.
 #1411573  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:
David Benton wrote:They were working on connecting branchlines up,to create a "Oxbridge" service, when i was there early 90's. Wasn't going to be high speed though.
Yes, the goal of recreating an east-west Cambridge to Oxford line has been talked about for years. Apart from the advantages for passengers, it would also be useful as a new route for goods traffic from the east coast ports such as Felixstowe.
Reinstating a through line is quite reasonable, and it is a mystery why it was severed in the first place. But the question is why the government are proposing this novel ownership. Is it a sign of their thinking for future policy? Will they be fragmenting the ownership of the whole system?
 #1411592  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:I had already posted a few random news articles about the matter at http://friendsoftherail.com/forum/viewt ... 7daf5a7594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I dislike Tory government in general but I don't understand what they are up to in this case. A single franchisee is not likely to own the resources to maintain the track and other functions formerly undertaken by Network Rail, inherited from the former British Rail. How is the operating company to assemble these facilities? Will they have to hire them from - Network Rail, the only current supplier?

The privatised company Railtrack collapsed after serious crashes and was replaced by the current state-owned incumbent. A new infrastructure company will be under suspicion, especially if it is confined only to one route. In any case parts of this route will be shared with Network Rail routes.
 #1411595  by johnthefireman

george matthews wrote:How is the operating company to assemble these facilities? Will they have to hire them from - Network Rail, the only current supplier?
Presumably they will have to hire them in, which is worrying because Network Rail is not the only potential supplier. Companies such as SERCO, which used to provide these services to Network Rail before NR took maintenance in-house, would presumably be happy to trouser some cash for maintenance services again, which is very worrying as the reason NR took maintenance in-house in the first place was because of the inefficiency and indeed danger which occurred when companies such as SERCO were doing it for them.
 #1411620  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:
george matthews wrote:How is the operating company to assemble these facilities? Will they have to hire them from - Network Rail, the only current supplier?
Presumably they will have to hire them in, which is worrying because Network Rail is not the only potential supplier. Companies such as SERCO, which used to provide these services to Network Rail before NR took maintenance in-house, would presumably be happy to trouser some cash for maintenance services again, which is very worrying as the reason NR took maintenance in-house in the first place was because of the inefficiency and indeed danger which occurred when companies such as SERCO were doing it for them.
I would be wary of trusting SERCO. Perhaps I would have to research any route to see if SERCO is responsible - and avoid it.
 #1411628  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:
george matthews wrote: I dislike Tory government in general
How about this example of the Tories and railways?

Chris Grayling urged to resign over leaked rail letter
I have always disliked Grayling. I don't know whether control by the London Mayor is a good idea or not. There are certainly some lines which might benefit from being closer to Underground lines, administratively.