Railroad Forums 

• GWR Locos through time

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1408448  by george matthews

Some bad news this week. The government has decreed that electrification is costing too much and is delaying its extension to Cardiff and Swansea. The new electric trains are going to be fitted with diesel to power them over the non-electrified sections.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/infr ... erred.html
Last edited by george matthews on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1408483  by philipmartin

The railroad that I work for does that with dual purpose locomotives, Bombardier ALP45DP. I suppose these new British trains will be MUs with the diesel motor dropped in them?
Pertinent article (note: it contains cookies). http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... s-12146764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's a Wiki on the class 800 trains: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1408511  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:The railroad that I work for does that with dual purpose locomotives, Bombardier ALP45DP. I suppose these new British trains will be MUs with the diesel motor dropped in them?
Pertinent article (note: it contains cookies). http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... s-12146764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's a Wiki on the class 800 trains: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have no idea. I assume they will be normal High Speed trains with one end having a diesel generator car and the other a pantograph. The intention will be that the diesel will come on as the end of the overhead approaches, probably without stopping. I hope that the overhead will be extended as soon as possible. I suspect that the diesel option will prove to be disastrous.

At least it won't be steam.
 #1408520  by philipmartin

With our ALP45s in New Jersey they make the change of power when the train is stopped. I don't know if they can do it on the fly.
Thank you for answering my question about the equipment type, George. I have the impression that it will be that type 800 that I posted the link to.
You say "I suspect that the diesel option will prove to be disastrous." Is there any information to make this seem likely?
"Ciao" and "Cheers" :wink:
 #1408537  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:With our ALP45s in New Jersey they make the change of power when the train is stopped. I don't know if they can do it on the fly.
Thank you for answering my question about the equipment type, George. I have the impression that it will be that type 800 that I posted the link to.
You say "I suspect that the diesel option will prove to be disastrous." Is there any information to make this seem likely?
"Ciao" and "Cheers" :wink:
Well, it's possible that diesel will come on at Bristol, though I think the wires are in fact already up in the Severn Tunnel so it's difficult to say where the changeover will be (and it's distasteful even to speculate about such a silly idea).

Here's a quote:
The deferred projects are:

Didcot Parkway – Oxford;
Bristol Parkway – Bristol Temple Meads;
Bath Spa – Bristol Temple Meads;
The Twyford – Henley-on-Thames and Slough – Windsor & Eton Central branches.
That suggests the diesel would come on at Bath with no wires from there to Bristol. I can understand the delaying of some of the branches, such as Slough to Windsor (which I know well since I lived in Slough when I was in Secondary School). I don't think there are any through trains from Windsor to London - though there used to be a few in the distant past. But delaying the electrification of the main line to Bristol is a piece of nonsense.

They slipped out this news while the main news was the American election results - much more shocking. It's been reported that the government has done that before - issued distasteful news under cover of some other catastrophe.

Note the lie here, denying the harm being proposed:
According to the minister, the government remained committed to modernising the Great Western Main Line, and the decision to defer these electrification projects ‘underscores the government’s approach to wider rail investment; that passenger outcomes must be delivered in conjunction with achieving the best value from every pound spent.’
Incidentally, the surprise here is that the government is making decisions about the railways when the John Major government claimed to be privatising the railways and thus leaving such decisions to the autonomous companies the government created. The incident reveals that the privatisation was a nonsense. It's real effect was to increase the cost of such projects.
 #1408555  by philipmartin

Thank you for responding to my question, George, although I don't see the possible "disaster" that you refer to.
You write much that is factual, but also some that I find amusing:
"it's distasteful even to speculate about such a silly idea). :wink: "
"delaying the electrification of the main line to Bristol is a piece of nonsense. :wink: " "the American election results - much more shocking. :wink:"
"Note the lie here, denying the harm being proposed: :wink:"
"Incidentally, the surprise here is that the government is making decisions about the railways :wink:" In my view "privatization" was never meant to work, but is simply a show to make the public believe it's getting some freedom back from the government. It's a far cry from the circumstances in which the railways were built in the first pace.
 #1408587  by David Benton

I would agree not finishing to at least Bristol would be crazy. I suspect politics is involved, If they finish to Bristol , Wales will be asking why not us too.
I wonder if the plunging pound after Brexit has made costs go up?
 #1408591  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I would agree not finishing to at least Bristol would be crazy. I suspect politics is involved, If they finish to Bristol , Wales will be asking why not us too.
I wonder if the plunging pound after Brexit has made costs go up?
The article seems to suggest the Welsh part will be electrified but not Bristol. That seems to me absurd penny pinching.