Railroad Forums 

• Carriages in the road

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1405285  by philipmartin

From WarwickshireRailways.com. (I'm trying to find the article again.) The cars, which were on a temporary trestle, ran away when other cars bumped them. They landed i the street, with no injuries to any one. A tack was laid from the right of way to them. Their lead wheels were placed on it, and an engine pulled them up with a cable. http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/albanyroad.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1405303  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:On the FOTR Forum I recently posted a different take on "carriages in the road"!

Train carriages squeezed along high street

It's in a town where my sister used to live, so I know those streets quite well.
Yes, it would be tricky navigating those streets, and the roads connecting Barmouth with other towns. I presume the contractor had surveyed the route before passing along.

Of course one has to wonder why the carriages weren't travelling on the rails?
 #1405319  by philipmartin

Somehow I'm not sure that we are talking about the same carriages. There seems to be a 100 year difference between them.
 #1405330  by johnthefireman

george matthews wrote:Of course one has to wonder why the carriages weren't travelling on the rails?
A very good question. It's one of the many nonsenical aspects of the privatised railways. It is often cheaper to transport locomotives and rolling stock by road than it would be to send it by rail! Madness.
 #1405346  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote:
george matthews wrote:Of course one has to wonder why the carriages weren't travelling on the rails?
A very good question. It's one of the many nonsenical aspects of the privatised railways. It is often cheaper to transport locomotives and rolling stock by road than it would be to send it by rail! Madness.
Let's see if I've got this straight. The people running private enterprises are crazy. The same ones running government enterprises are all wise. :wink: :wink:
Last edited by philipmartin on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1405351  by johnthefireman

Now you're putting words into my mouth. We're speaking about a particular characteristic of the privatised railway system in Britain. We have a perfectly good railway system on which rail vehicles are, er, designed to run, but the capitalist system as applied to privatised railways appears to favour transporting them by roads on which they are definitely not designed to run, this causing, amongst other problems, delays to other road users and increased carbon emissions, but apparently increasing their profit margins. In the old nationalised railways it was almost always possible either to incorporate them into an existing train or to find a path for them to run as a special train. Yes, in this case I believe the privatised system is crazy and the nationalised system had a more sensible approach.
 #1405353  by philipmartin

Thanks for the reply, John, for what it's worth. Sorry to turn a pleasant conversation into an unpleasant one. I won't say more; I think I feel David breathing down my colar. :wink:
 #1405427  by johnthefireman

philipmartin wrote:Sorry to turn a pleasant conversation into an unpleasant one.
Was it unpleasant? Just a disagreement about ways of running railways.
 #1405428  by johnthefireman

David, on Saturday we had lunch with a friend who lives on a conservation ranch who regaled us with a story of being attacked by a mother ostrich with a chick while riding his bike. The only weapon he had available was the bike itself, so he jumped off, picked it up and wielded it to keep the angry mother away.
 #1405435  by CLamb

johnthefireman wrote:Now you're putting words into my mouth. We're speaking about a particular characteristic of the privatised railway system in Britain. We have a perfectly good railway system on which rail vehicles are, er, designed to run, but the capitalist system as applied to privatised railways appears to favour transporting them by roads on which they are definitely not designed to run, this causing, amongst other problems, delays to other road users and increased carbon emissions, but apparently increasing their profit margins. In the old nationalised railways it was almost always possible either to incorporate them into an existing train or to find a path for them to run as a special train. Yes, in this case I believe the privatised system is crazy and the nationalised system had a more sensible approach.
It's not a characteristic of privatized railways alone but one of nationalized roadways and privatized railways. One wonders what lowest cost would be if the roadways were privatized as well.
 #1405443  by philipmartin

I'm being threatened with bicycles and accused of being a man eater. :wink:
Actually I had a German shepherd dog menacing me when I was on a bike once. It didn't occur to me to use the bike for a weapon. I've never been attacked by an ostrich though.
I suspect that bull is one of David's animals. Being a quarter Spanish, fighting him would be second nature for me. And yep, I'm 81, like the gent in the video.
 #1405500  by johnthefireman

CLamb wrote:It's not a characteristic of privatized railways alone but one of nationalized roadways and privatized railways. One wonders what lowest cost would be if the roadways were privatized as well.
Well said. The road lobby often fails to acknowledge how much they are subsidised. If they had to compete with railways on equal terms it would be a different story.
 #1411703  by Semaphore Sam

On the FOTR Forum I recently posted a different take on "carriages in the road"!

Train carriages squeezed along high street

It's in a town where my sister used to live, so I know those streets quite well.
Talk of mixed modes of transport, that ROAD truck transporting the RAILWAY carriages embodies a system similar to the B-747 AIRCRAFT, wherein certain wheels turn opposite of the front ones, to aid in getting around corners (Body Gear Steering in the 747).