Railroad Forums 

• Great Western Railway Episode 1

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1404927  by johnthefireman

george matthews wrote:The only company that used such streamlined steam locos was the LNER.
Actually LMS also had streamlined locos, and even SR had semi-streamlined ("air-smoothed") locos. But you're right that the b&w photo posted by Philip is an LNER A4, not a GWR loco.
 #1404949  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:
george matthews wrote:The only company that used such streamlined steam locos was the LNER.
Actually LMS also had streamlined locos, and even SR had semi-streamlined ("air-smoothed") locos. But you're right that the b&w photo posted by Philip is an LNER A4, not a GWR loco.
The LMS streamlined locos looked quite different.
 #1404956  by johnthefireman

george matthews wrote:The LMS streamlined locos looked quite different.
Well yes, of course they did, but my point was simply that LNER was not the only railway company to operate streamlined locos.
 #1404963  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:
george matthews wrote:The LMS streamlined locos looked quite different.
Well yes, of course they did, but my point was simply that LNER was not the only railway company to operate streamlined locos.
The point is about the picture, which shows an LNER locomotive. An expert on these locos could perhaps tell us whether they ever operated outside the LNER area. I don't think they did.
 #1404970  by johnthefireman

george matthews wrote:An expert on these locos could perhaps tell us whether they ever operated outside the LNER area. I don't think they did.
As far as I can recall A4s were involved in the 1948 loco exchange trials, which involved running on GWR, SR and LMS metals.
 #1405559  by philipmartin

For nostalgia, 19th Century locos provided by Robert Ferris in Warwickhire Railways.
Part of the caption for the top photo, by John Dews. "Midland Railway class 1 0-6-0 No 2627 stands in a line of engines in the yard on Sunday 31st August 1919. Built as M.R. No. 775 by Dubs & Company of Glasgow in 1870, it was one of Kirtley's 700 class. Rebuilt in 1902 with a Johnson boiler and cab, it was renumbered in 1907. Fitted with vacuum brakes, it is otherwise a typical rebuilt Kirtley standard goods 0-6-0 of the period." For the rest of it - http://warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrb14.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part of the caption By Robert Ferris for the center photo: "Great Western Railway 4-6-0 40xx (Star) class No 4058 Princess Augusta with an express headcode indicated by the two white lamps on the buffer beam. These white painted headcode lamps were introduced gradually after December 1936 (previously they were painted red). No 4059 was built in July 1914" For the rest - http://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1750.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Caption for the bottom photo by Robert Ferris: "Great Western Railway 2-4-0 196 class No 211 at what is believed to be Worcester Shrub Hill Station in 1895. Is this correct?"