Railroad Forums 

• Track Relocation: St. Anton am Arlberg

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1400321  by Gilbert B Norman

I've learned that there was a major line change made through this ski resort village during 2000 prompted by a "World Cup" skiing event, resulting in the relocation of the line to the South side of the valley, lengthening of the Arlberg tunnel, and replacing a classic Tyrolean styled station with a quite non-descript "functional" structure.

I was there last month, having made a day trip from Salzburg, but I did not know where the former station was located and if it is still standing.

Likely, I should have used more of my time there to locate the former line, but I didn't.

Assistance, anyone?
 #1400332  by philipmartin

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I replacing a classic Tyrolean styled station with a quite non-descript "functional" structure.
I am glad to hear that they have replaced the beautiful Tyrolean station witn something non-descript. I am still suffering from the loss of Penn Station in New York, which I remember. Misery loves company.
St Anton Arlberg video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3UJ2txUC ... hpDriapNsw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad
Last edited by philipmartin on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1400358  by JayBee

Looking at the current view on Google Earth and comparing that to a Cab Ride video from 1997 it looks like the old station was just west of where Auweg crosses Dorfstrasse.
 #1400379  by Gilbert B Norman

Here's a photo of the former station - classic Tyrolean structure.

https://goo.gl/images/TN8bLx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish I had done more homework on this before I hopped on the RailJet last month for a day trip from Salzburg. I was very surprised when I got off into about as nondescript station as I could imagine. NY Penn would win an architectural award compared to this.

As it turned out, first order of business was Lunch, which left a sour taste with me in that their Wi-Fi wasn't working so I had to pay cash (my fault, eh?). Check was €35 and fortunately I had it, but I was wiped out. I decided to take a walk, but I walked Westward when.if I wanted to see the former West portal of the Arlberg tunnel, I should have walked East. Now after Mr. Jay Bee's immediate, I did see some undeveloped areas on the South side (town's side) of the Rosanna River.

I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, for from there I could have a better lay of the land, but since I paid cash, I have no receipt.

Oh well, I'm sure this isn't the first trip where someone found about something after the fact and had a "Gee whiz..." moment.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1400421  by philipmartin

http://www.elektrolok.de/Kurzprofile/194-oebb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for the photo of the original station, Mr. Norman. Above is another photo from that group that strikes me as spectacular. It also contains links to other photos of crocodiles. Here's a charming one below.
Last edited by philipmartin on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.