Railroad Forums 

• World's bounciest railway.

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1393555  by David Benton

Maybe square wheels might actually make it smoother!.
I don't understand why these countries, with cheap labour, don't attend to such problems. I am sure such track could be made alot better without the need for expensive new rail and sleepers, using manual labour. Even Sleepers(ties)should be able to be made locally without need for foreign exchange.
 #1393674  by philipmartin

What they do on NJ Transit is tie down the cars when they are going to be left for a while; that is, put a hand brake on one of them. Then when the drill crew, the shunter, picks them up, it drags them around the yard with the hand brakes still on. Then the cars get flat spots, and go bump, bump when moving, until the wheels are trued again- an expensive process.
Alternatively, in the Fall, when there are wet leaves on the rails and the engineman makes his usual fast approach to a station stop, the train slides in, producing flat spots.
Back to Burma- if the right of way, or (translation) permanent way is so bouncy, it's a wonder the cars stay on the rails. We might have had a video of Chris Tarrant in a derailment, (even bouncier.)
There are a few shots of a taped up brake hose, I guess it is. Vacuum brakes?
 #1401115  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:Maybe square wheels might actually make it smoother!.
I don't understand why these countries, with cheap labour, don't attend to such problems. I am sure such track could be made alot better without the need for expensive new rail and sleepers, using manual labour. Even Sleepers(ties)should be able to be made locally without need for foreign exchange.
For decades the insane military government tried to avoid contact with other states. Now that it seems to be transitioning to something more like a democracy some of these long neglected problems may be tackled.