Railroad Forums 

• Flying Scotsman

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1389935  by johnthefireman

No objection, but just wondering how you connect this one to the Flying Scotsman? Am I missing something?
 #1389965  by philipmartin

Well, John. (the flying Bulgarian?) You won't believe this, but I thought I was posting it on the eastern Europeran thread and then couldn't find it. Thank you for helping me relocate it. I guess I'll put it over there now. I hope David doesn't see this. :wink:
 #1390002  by johnthefireman

And I'm drinking my morning tea.

Actually I have to confess that I have sometimes posted something on the wrong forum (not on Railroad.Net, I think, but on other sites) thinking I was posting it on a different one.
 #1390003  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote:Youre lucky I'm eating my lunch.
That's better than "brekitfast." (I finally caught on a few days ago.)
 #1390199  by johnthefireman

The June 2016 issue of The Railway Magazine has a review of a book called Flying Scotsman Owner's Workshop Manual. It's produced by Haynes, who are famous for their car workshop manuals (I have one for my old Series II Land Rover). Looks interesting.

Amongst my books I have a reprint of a genuine workshop manual for another loco - 2-10-0 Austerity Engine and Tender - brief description with hints on maintenance and repair - originally published by the Ministry of Supply in 1945. An interesting and rare piece of history - an "owner's manual" for a steam engine. Very few (if any?) other steam locos came with such a manual - it was apparently assumed that the railway company which designed and/or built them would know how to run and maintain them. A War Department Austerity engine would be used by all sorts of different companies and the military, so presumably that's why it has a manual - the poor squaddies would have been lost without orders to follow!
 #1390214  by philipmartin

You've got some good books, John. I can tell the opposite sort of story about myself. I was working as a round house laborer in 1956, for the New York Central. Steam was no more by then, and one day I had the job of burning up the blue prints for the old steam engines. I thought of taking some home with me, didn't for fear of looking like a spy.
 #1399655  by philipmartin

There is an eight page spread on the Flying Scotsman's 1969-1972 North American visit in the Oct. 2016 Trains Magazine. It's written by the late George Hinchcliffe, who managed the tour, and tells the ups and downs of the adventure, from his standpoint.
 #1414599  by george matthews

The BBC 4 tv has just shown a programme about the Flying Scotsman trip on the Severn Valley railway - a private heritage railway. It ran at 25 mph. It showed the feeding of coal into the firebox and the other jobs necessary on its journey.

It made clear to me why BR saved money when they replaced steam with more modern traction.
 #1414715  by ExCon90

george matthews wrote:The BBC 4 tv has just shown a programme about the Flying Scotsman trip on the Severn Valley railway - a private heritage railway. It ran at 25 mph. It showed the feeding of coal into the firebox and the other jobs necessary on its journey.

It made clear to me why BR saved money when they replaced steam with more modern traction.
That seems to have been the main thing that killed steam everywhere. I don't think the term "hangar queen" was in the language in the steam era, but that's mostly what steam locomotives were. When American railroads replaced steam with diesel, an unanticipated advantage was the discovery that the steam engines didn't have to replaced one for one because the diesels spent more time out on the railroad instead of in engine terminals being serviced.