Railroad Forums 

• Tourists' mistake on the London Underground costs them $212k a year

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1523873  by David Benton

"The London Underground is a blessing for tourists in the UK capital.

It's fast, easy to navigate, and boasts 270 stations across 11 lines, which means there's hardly anywhere in Greater London a visitor can't reach by the Tube.

But some tourists are a little too Tube-happy – and it's costing them close to $200,000 a year."
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/ ... d=12280361

I would downplay this for 2 reasons.
Many tourists may just ride between the 2 stations to experience the tube , figuring they can simply walk back if the dont wish to ride back. I have met tourists in London (mainly older from countries with no public transport) to whom a ride on the tube was a daunting prospect. They had no concept of how the underground stations related to the surface roads/ destinations. most likely they will spend a small fortune on taxis.

Secondly , I'm sure tourists lose far more by buying single tickets, rather than a daily /weekly / monthly pass. A day pass is fine if you can wait till after 9 a.m to ride, a week pass means you can ride anytime, for less again. For anyone staying more than 2 -3 days , a weekly pass will save heaps.
 #1524114  by mdvle

Cheap sensationalist headline designed to make the Brexit loving readership of the Telegraph feel superior to those "foreigners" (given that the original story is from the Telegraph).

As you say much of it will be a simple "experience the tube" check-mark on a tourist itinerary, in part because for many who are visiting London for their one and only time in their lifetime will want to remain on the surface to actually see things.
 #1524247  by johnthefireman

Even though I only return to UK once or twice a year, I keep an Oyster card as I find that to be the best way to travel around London, on trains, underground and buses. If I forget mine, my friends in London lend me one of the spares that they keep for visitors. If I'm staying with my nephew in Brighton and need to go to London for a day, I buy a return rail ticket that includes a London travelcard. It's all very straghtforward.

Incidentally I also buy a Senior Railcard every year. Costs me thirty quid but gets me a one third fare reduction on most off peak rail tickets. I only have to make two or three rail journeys in a year to cover the cost of the card.
 #1524872  by David Benton

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-50304437
It appears Mr"Radio" and "John's Oyster card holdings are contributing to a windfall for London Transport . must admit I must have 3 or 4 Auckland Transport $5 cards that I have no idea which drawer they are hiding in .
It would seem reasonable to me for London Transport to liquidate 10 -25 % of this money for use on transport projects . It sounds like most Oyster card holders have no intention of cashing in their cards.Either that or give it to charity.
But what shocks me most is a Pint is now apparently more than 9 pounds in Central London. That is a real crime , right there.