Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel Collapse along Tennessee Pass

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1064343  by fp7fan

The Denver media has been reporting about a sinkhole that has closed Rt. 24 in Colorado between Leadville and Red Cliff. This sinkhole has been caused by a collapse of a century old railroad tunnel underneath the roadway. Does anybody have a link to a D&RG map that may show the route that would have included this tunnel? From one report I read, the tunnel may have been 2,500 feet long and was abandoned in the early 1900's.

Thanks in advance,
Todd
 #1064400  by TB Diamond

Original Tenesee Pass Tunnel. New bore completed in, I believe, the early 1950s. Old bore was thereafter sealed. New bore constructed account old bore had liner issues that caused repeated partial collapse situations.
 #1064535  by fp7fan

Thanks for the replies, they clarify things. I was confused by an article in the Denver Post that said the tunnel was used to access Camp Hale, and that made me think that the tunnel was located further north near the location of Camp Hale and maybe was part of a spur into the camp.
 #1064722  by TB Diamond

The spur into Camp Hale came off at Pando.

I was stationed at Camp Hale in the mid-1950s. Recall seeing D&RGW trains with nearly a dozen F-units as power.

Nothing left at Camp Hale now except foundation remains.
 #1066471  by Desertdweller

I'm glad to hear this was not on the current mainline over Tennessee Pass.

Two weeks ago I drove US 50 from Canon City to Montrose. The line from Canon City to Salida looked like it was still in good shape except for needing some weed control.

The line from Canon City to Parkdale is still used by the Royal Gorge Railroad, and looks in good shape. I also saw a twelve-car coal train leaving Canon City westbound behind UP power. Must have been going to the power plant on the west side of Canon City.

I'm glad the UP has not torn up this route. It may be needed someday if problems develop on the Moffat Tunnel Route.

The scenery from Canon City to Salida is so nice, I think people would ride the train to Salida if service were added.

The Royal Gorge Railroad seems to have a lot of equipment awaiting refurbishing. If I were running that operation, I would be negotiating with the City of Denver to take over the Ski Train operation to Winter Park.

It is striking the way the public, who abandoned passenger trains in the late 1960's, now embraces them.

Les