Railroad Forums 

• Grand Canyon Railway Trip

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1000742  by marco

Hey Everybody,

Hope everyone's holiday has been pleasant... We're planning a trip west to Sedona in May 2012, and wish to take the Grand Canyon Railway.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or insights?

Thanks!
M.
 #1154727  by railnut49

I just joined this group, and it's long since your planned visit, but if you haven't done so, it's a great experience. I've done the trip to the canyon, and had a great time with my wife. The train robber action was a hoot and I just loved it. The actors were a hoot. I had a son who lived in Williams, where the train leaves and returns to. The train gives you a chance to see some of the canyon prior to heading back to Williams. In winter a pair of FA's pulls the trains, and in summer you get the steam locos. I'd highly recommend the trip if you haven't made it yet.
 #1157253  by Backshophoss

After Xterra took control of the GCRY,4960 runs on special trips(burning used fryer oil as fuel) the FA's and FB's and the F-40's do the
bulk of the work,train can have ex-SP commute coaches,Dome cars,a set of ex B+M "Boise Budds" and ex-Amtrak cars are used to
haul passengers to/from Grand Canyon. Some times there's more than 1 R/T to the Canyon during the summer months.
GCRY has a bus shuttle that meets Amtrak's SW Chief at Willlams Jct. The shuttle bus runs year round.
 #1172446  by fl9m2004

In 2007 I made the trip
It was really nice
An ex Amtrak F40 was power leading had a b unit then power box car
Really good horn conductor was really nice
Announcing when train slowed down
Didn't see any BNSF freights while passing under main line
But did on Route 66 between Willams and Flagstaff
 #1199507  by MetucheNscale

The GCR had added an open window coach with a lower fare ($60) to each trip. this is usually the first car behind the HEP car, best place to be for a railfan, especially for the few trips that are steam powered.
 #1216123  by fl9m2004

We missed the fa's by one day
The steam engines where not running 18 was there then
4960-29 where there too
Wish it was steam but I guess in August or when I went with my aunt and her husband they didn't run steam