Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning Phoenix, AZ?

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#968854  by JLJ061

I'm going to be vacationing in the next week in Phoenix, AZ for a few days and am wondering where are the best places in the area to see some action, or if there are any yards/locomotive terminals where I can safely get some pics?

Thanks!
 #978148  by fromsuncook

JLJ I am sure your vacation is over by now. Good places I know of are on the 7th street bridge or the 16th street bridge south of Van Buren St. The bridges are just south of Jackson St.

There are probably better places but this thread seems to be pretty much dead. I work next to a yard in West Phoenix at 43rd Ave and about where Jackson would be. I'm not sure if you can get good views from public land there. They do a lot of switching there. It is a hump yard. Problem is the hump is at the street I use to get to/from work on.

Maybe this will help someone in the future. I hope JLJ found answers and the trip was successful.
 #1154720  by railnut49

I'm new to the Phoenix, and also in need of some help, in the meantime I'll try the places you mentioned. Company would be nice some time if you're in the mood. I live in Tempe, price and broadway area. I just bought a scanner and am trying to find the UP frequencies so I can listen in. Am retired so could go anytime you could sir.

Brian