Railroad Forums 

• railroad operations in New Mexico/El Paso?

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#832759  by MBTA3247

I'm going to be in New Mexico for a few days in September, so I'm looking for some information pertaining to railroad operations there and in El Paso. In particular:

For BNSF:
-number of trains between Albuquerque and Belen;
-number of trains on the Transcon;
-number of trains between Belen and El Paso

For UP:
-number of trains on the Sunset Route

For Cumbres & Toltec Scenic:
-an updated schedule for the west end of the line that reflects trains currently originating at Cumbres instead of Chama

For all of the above:
-radio frequencies that are used (plus those for Railrunner and Amtrak);
-any good photo spots on the lines mentioned (for UP, I'm just looking for spots around the yards in El Paso and on the Sunset Route as far west as Deming, NM)

Thanks.
 #834966  by Otto Vondrak

#1154731  by railnut49

For anyone interested, Belen, NM has a nice active yard and one can sit at the old train station in the shade and watch trains all day. I scanner sure makes it fun also. There used to be a model railroad club in the old station if it's still there. I'm hoping to go back this year for another visit. I had lots of fun company to talk to as I was not the only railfan there. Belen has a nice following of railfans.
 #1157249  by Backshophoss

The Harvey House at Belen and the NMRX(Railrunner) station are great locations to watch the action in the yard
You have to shoot thru the chain link fencing at the Harvey House and on the bridge that crosses over Belen Jct.
Ther are sidewalks on the bridge,it's safe.
The Belen Model Railroad Club is alive and well in the Harvey house,and have a permanent HO scale layout built.
They also have a moduler layout,and at least 3 times a year have a sell and swap trade show.