Railroad Forums 

• A Question About Browning guns and 1880s Train Cars...

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1449792  by Russet Wolf

...specifically pertaining to their manufacture and their corrosion resistance.

Not a very interesting question I know, but I have an interesting an interesting lead up you may like.

I work at the Browning museum in Ogden, Utah, situated in Union Station. I spend my days staring at gun prototypes, and it's known to us that most of these prototypes were made from salvaged train car axles. The hardened steel was specifically required to create the receivers.

Now, for years my colleague, Kay, has been wondering why these untreated guns, still raw steel, have never rusted. Raw milled steel, even if stored well, would have begun to develop surface rust at least. Most of these guns spent their lives in reference libraries, unprotected, gathering dust, yet they're spotless. We don't even keep them in atmospherically controlled cases.

For years he's been asking metalurgists and doing research with no answers forthcoming.

Now, recently a visitor proposed to me the idea this might have to do with the manufacturing process. That if these mass produced axles were drawn steel, drawn through dies like a wire, then that would have evenly distributed the carbon, slowing electron exchange and preventing oxidization.

So I'm asking if, from around the late 1870s to the 1920s, how were train car axels manufactured? Were they Drawn? Would this affect corrosion resistance and what resources can I use in finding out?

Tl;Dr John M. Browning made guns out of train car axles and now they don't rust. How? Why? Does it have anything to do with Drawn steel or any other manufacturing technique? Please and thank you.
 #1472807  by Plate C

Found this thread by accident, too bad no response. I've heard that the Browning Museum is pretty amazing, as is Union Station.
I unfortunately do not know the answer to your question, but as a fan of firearms and the railroad found this educational.
Thanks!
 #1626488  by CharlieL

Gonna take a SWAG on this, high-content nickel steel, stronger than straight steel, corrosion resistant, used in Winchester mdl 94 rifles, at least some of them and other firearms. A museum with the ability to non-destructively analyze could probably help out another museum at no charge. Would make sense for a railroad of any size to use it or something like it for load-bearing stressed components.
 #1638309  by NYCRRson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)

There are a number of "Chemical Conversion" processes that can be applied to metals to prevent "rusting".

The "blueing" of steel used in gun barrels is one of the early examples.

Anodizing Aluminum is more modern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

Many aircraft structural components (aluminum) have a greenish color from a "chem film" process.

Basically a very thin film of chemicals that resist "rust" (oxidation in general) changes the properties of the outer most surface of metal parts. Not paint which is an additional layer on top of the metal.