Railroad Forums 

• Gallup N.M. railfanning questions....

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1388895  by Don-man

I plan to visit the Guam NM area east of Gallup, N.M., soon and want take some photos of Amtrak's EB with the red rocks in the background.
Am inquiring how to travel to the spot to take that kind of pic.

In my earlier trips, I only made it to the rail bridge/ underpass the gravel road goes under, the north track which EBs typically run on.

I set-up my camera by the fence there, immediately west of the tracks, but the sun angle isn't so great.
I didn't have a lot of time and knew the Amtrak train was due soon.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129504298 ... 867876584/
Looking at Google Earth, I see that road continues N & W.
I plan to scope-out the area the night before but am curious if you have any tips on the best way to get to locations to take good photos of the trains in the morning sun with the red rocks in the background.

I typically arise early & visit Defiance & Lupton for a great photo of the rock cliffs then rush to Guam, but I think this time, I may want to set-up in Guam earlier, because I don't think one can get positioned properly if one shoots Amtrak west of Gallup first & tries to catch that train east of Gallup at Guam.
 #1388907  by Backshophoss

The BNSF ROW is running thru the Navajo Indian Reservation,that includes the branch to the coal mines in the area.
I would not wander too far away from I-40.
Be aware the Navajo Nation has their own police force and Laws on reservation land,they are considered
"Sovereign Nations" under NM and AZ laws.
That would include photos of "sacred sites",so stay close to the "tourist traps" and I-40,you should be fine.
Wander too far off,you might wind up at the Jail at Shiprock.

That also applies to all the pueblos and reservation lands across NM and AZ

BNSF PD has stepped up patrols along the Transconn,due to container/trailer break ins