Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning San Jose, Ca

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1313141  by LIRR272

Hello,

In March I will be coming to San Jose, Ca. While there I'm looking to do some railfanning where I can see a mix of passenger and freight. Any suggestions? I'll be traveling by foot from the downtown area.
 #1314620  by Backshophoss

Your best bet seems to be at San Jose(Diridon) station,Amtrak,Caltrain,Altamont Commuter Express services,
and UP freights.
 #1318474  by riffian

Freights do go through the station, but unfortunately are few in number. A better bet is the Santa Clara station where you will see more freights, as well as all the passenger trains from the three operating authorities that you see at San Jose. The Santa Clara station is accessible via Caltrain and has the restored Espee tower as well as the depot. The Santa Clara station is at the North throat of the yard, so you will see freights (Roseville, South San Francisco, Salinas) switching their trains there.