Railroad Forums 

• Old Right-of-Way Along I-40

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1168788  by XC Tower

While driving east along I-40 this past March, I noticed signs of an old line going through Wildorado and Bushland, Texas to Amarillo. At Amarillo, another former line could be noticed (I did) at various points to Groom, Texas. Does anyone have a history on this? Where did the routes extend to? Any idea as to when and why the rails were removed? I'm guessing that Oklahoma City may have where one destination was...I lost the sightings do to darkness..
Thanks for any information.

XC
 #1206836  by Backshophoss

The route from El Reno Ok(OKC metro area)to Tucumcari NM was Subdivisions 33,34,35 and 36 of the RI's Southern Division
in the"THE ROCK" ETT dated 03/18/1979. There was a streach of Subdivision 36 kept in service to reach the Pantex Weapons
plant near the Everett-Wildorado area till the late 1990's and the National Hydrogen Storage Facilty near Soncy as well.