Railroad Forums 

• TV&C from Sandusky to Cuba

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#1307772  by thebigham

North of Rushford, the former TV&C grade paralleled E Centerville Road.

Looks like one farm plowed under the grade, but the "scar" can still be seen in aerial photos:

http://tinyurl.com/obpr4zp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The + in the middle of the page is where the grade was.
 #1311794  by RussNelson

My routing in OSM disagrees with your field research, which means that I must be wrong. I mean, I entered it using a fairly large-scale map, which I then backed up by looking at the topo contour lines, so "can you say guesswork? I knew you could."

So from your additional information I'm adjusting the routing northeast of Rushford. There's just SO little to go by that I'm still gonna call it guesswork.

Also, I can see where the TV&C cuts the corner of B&S Road, so I adjusted the OSM routing. Do you know if the B&S follows Camp Road / Scout Road near Camp Scouthaven?

Do you know what's the legal status of the B&O that goes northeast out of Freedom? It sure looks like somebody is keeping it open as a right-of-way. I might try to bicycle it this summer, if it's not posted.
 #1311863  by thebigham

^Yes, Camp Road is the old B&S.

The B&O is a well maintained snowmobile trail.

BUT, I think it's posted as "No Trespassing" when snow is not on the ground. Ridiculous!
 #1320276  by thebigham

If you go to http://www.historicaerials.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and type in Rushford, NY and click on the 1952 aerial photos.

Go up to where West Centerville Road and East Centerville Road meet.

The horseshoe curve the TV&C had through here can easily be seen.

On today's aerial photos, it's hard to see.
 #1320334  by thebigham

The 1952 aerial photos extend from Rushford south to Cuba Lake.

Many traces of the TV&C grade can be seen.

I know the Three Rivers narrow gauge group once did a tour of what remained of the TV&C right of way.

The "+" is where the TV&C grade is here:

http://tinyurl.com/otmcfxg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is where the grade crosses from east side of Rawson's Creek to the west side.
 #1320435  by RussNelson

thebigham wrote:BUT, I think it's posted as "No Trespassing" when snow is not on the ground. Ridiculous!
It's not ridiculous. Wheeled vehicles displace soil, even mountain bikes. Hikers will move soil around, too. Snowmobiles, as long as the soil is solidly frozen, don't do that.
 #1320440  by RussNelson

thebigham wrote:If you go to http://www.historicaerials.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and type in Rushford, NY and click on the 1952 aerial photos.

Go up to where West Centerville Road and East Centerville Road meet.

The horseshoe curve the TV&C had through here can easily be seen.

On today's aerial photos, it's hard to see.
Even in 1952 it was pretty plowed-under, but yes, you can see it at W.C. and E.C. roads. I would think, though, that at some of the little creeks, there ought to be remains of culverts.
 #1320484  by dj_paige

Just so I'm sure I'm looking at the correct part of the photo, I put an arrow next to what I think the horseshoe curve is. Is this the feature you are talking about?
2015-03-07 19_19_40-NETR Online • Historic Aerials.gif
 #1320566  by dj_paige

Good luck! You know, looking at today's aerial maps (Bing maps to be specific, view facing south) you can almost make out where the ROW was. I know that's dangerous, it could be imagination rather than reality, but this is how it looks to me.
2015-03-08 16_57_50-Bing Maps.jpg
 #1320656  by dj_paige

Chris, Russ and others:

I have never looked for a ROW that has been heavily modified by human activity. The only ROWs I have ever really found are truly abandoned and unchanged by humans (only changed by nature) and those ROWs are obvious.

So, other than culverts at creeks, what would you look for in those fields?