Railroad Forums 

• Freight Runs

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#891317  by ckwwestshore

I am interested in shooting an Arcade and Attica freight train one of these days. I am wondering if they run on any kind of a dependable schedule, and where and when I might see them. Also, I am aware that many shortlines don't have any kind of a schedule, so if that is the case, please tell me, but even if the days and hours may vary, what time is the crew generally on duty in the morning?
 #891374  by Benjamin Maggi

I don't work for the A&A, though I occasionally volunteer there. In all of my railfanning experiences in Arcade, I found it best to get there early (between 6-7AM) because it seems that their freight trains left Arcade for Arcade Junction early in the morning. After going to the BR&P interchange and occasionally switching the AGWAY there, the train would run back to Arcade and continue on to Curriers.

Now, if you find yourself behind schedule (10AM, 11AM) I would suggest you head first to Curriers and then backtrack towards Arcade. Many times the track is visible from the interconnecting roads and if the train isn't in Curriers you can spot it as it is making its way North from Arcade. If you make it to Arcade without seeing it stop in the depot (if it is unlocked), introduce yourself if someone is there, and ask if the train has left Arcade yet. Or call them, which is probably better. They are usually very friendly.

When they aren't busy switching cars they seem to wrap up their jobs in the mid-afternoon. Depending on the number of cars, they might get their jobs done quicker or longer. Now that they have a new runaround track in Curriers it is probably easier for them. (Watching them use a tractor to help work the facing-point spurs was fun but seemed to take more time then necessary.)

And, they usually only run freight on the weekdays and probably on an as-needed basis. Not knowing where in the State you are coming from, giving them a call the day before wouldn't hurt either. As I said, they are generally railfan friendly.

As a recommendation, before you set out take a street map of Arcade and Curriers and blow it up on a copier. Then, highlight the tracks and mark any intersecting roads. That way, you are not fumbling with a folding map or a really large bound state atlas.

Good luck!
 #891546  by ckwwestshore

Thanks! I'm on the west side of Rochester, so I'll try calling the day before I go, or maybe the morning of.

Charlie
 #891698  by howie729

They came up to NJ yesterday. It has been early in the week lately, Monday's or Tuesdays.
 #893155  by ckwwestshore

While we're on the subject of freight, when does the B&P go down there-I take it its a night operation, that was last I've heard.
 #893250  by ckwwestshore

One more question:

Track speed is 10 mph from Arcade to Curriers, and 5mph from there up to the mill for freight, right? What number should I use to call the railroad, and what time should I call them to know if there will be a train? I prefer to call the day before for planning purposes, as I'm so far away, that by the time I called in the morning, it would be 90 minutes before I got into Arcade. I'd want to be there just when the train is leaving the yard, I don't want to go just to linger around for a hour.

Charlie
 #895123  by ckwwestshore

Thanks...I'll post photos in a new thread after I get down there, probably some time over February break.