Railroad Forums 

• Caboose 304 to Move

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#796997  by BSOR Patarak

Great News from the Friends of A&A! Ex Erie wooden sidewall caboose #04923 (A&A #304) is ready to return to Arcade.

First, thank you to those who sent donations to help us secure the ex Erie/A&A Caboose at Nunda. All preparations are done and we are now awaiting the trucking company to pick it up. Silk Roads Transportation out of Arkport will provide the trucking.

The Friends have prepared a temporary track at a local company in Arcade that has agreed to help us out on the restoration. We also will be working with the Arcade Historical Society who has set up a fund for the caboose restoration. They are acting as our 501 (c)(3) organization to accept donations to a charitable organization. Donations for the restoration are greatly appreciated.

The move is expected to happen over the next few weeks. The cost of the movement has been raised, partially with the sales of Ken Sringrith's book and several donations. We are now looking for donations of time, money and material to begin the restoration. Our plan is to restore the caboose to it's early variation with the cupola. From inside, it can easily be seen where the cupola was removed. We are discussing the possibility of the cupola remaining off until it is moved to it's permanent display site, as it will become too tall to easily truck around after it is installed. Once the caboose is closer to Arcade, restoration will be progressed as materials become available.

Donations are being accepted through the Arcade Historical Society Caboose Fund, or directly to the Friends of Arcade & Attica. Your help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Pat Connors
FoAA
 #797405  by Benjamin Maggi

This is very good news! I am sure lots of us have specific memories involving various pieces of A&A rolling stock or memories, and mine mostly involve #111 and this caboose (though I love #14 too!) I have friends in the area and I will make sure that they get over to where the caboose is being stored to take pictures without the cupola in place. I understand why it is being restore with it, and won't complain about that.

When I visited it in 2004 it was in very rough shape. One side was in very bad condition. There is a lot of work ahead for this poor caboose. I tried to purchase it but never got anywhere. It is better that it returns "home."

Here are a few pictures of when I saw it in 2004 (when my wife and I went on our first date together... to hunt it down)

The "Good" Side:

The "Bad" Side: (sorry about the lighting)
 #817167  by BSOR Patarak

On Monday June 7th, Caboose 304 was returned to Arcade! Silk Road Transport of Arkport handled the move. It began after some pretty heavy rains the day before. This made the process of bringing in the empty trailer to the rails where 304 has sat the past many years. The move actually took two different trailers. One was to pull it off of the existing track, and one for the actual move down the road. Below are a few photographs of the event.

The 1st move was to get the caboose off the lawn and out to the road where it was transfered to the other trailer.

Here the 304 is loaded and ready for the short trip back to Arcade.

Downtown Nunda

The caboose is now in it's temporary location so that the restoration work can begin. It is located at Maple Grove Enterprises on Route 98, just north of Arcade. They have agreed to allow us to use the space for the restoration work. Please respect their private driveway and do not try to access the caboose for the time being. The Friends of A&A are also pleased to announce a partnership was set up with the Arcade Historical Society to start a Caboose 304 restoration fund. Donations can be made directly to the Friends at PO Box 212, Arcade, NY. They can also be made to the Arcade Historical Society, Caboose 304 Fund at P.O. Box 236, Arcade, NY 14009.

The long term plan is to restore the cupola to the 304 and make it's appearance similar what it would have looked like on the Erie. Once it is completed a permanent home will be found to put it on public display for all to enjoy. Stay tuned...
 #817345  by joesbag

Wow! This is great!
 #899020  by BSOR Patarak

It is also from the Erie along with the B&H's. Is it still there? What kind of shape is it in? Any idea what the Erie number was on that one? Ours is '04923'.

Our cupola was mounted in a different location than that one at Hammondsport though. There are photographs of the B&H's in the new Morning Sun Shortline V1 and the cupola is directly above the sliding door. I wonder of what use that might be as there would have been no ladders or seats. Were the doors added after construction for the branch line service? I also seem to recall that there was another wooden caboose off in the weeds along the B&H somewhere between Hammondsport and Bath, though it was nearly rotted away back in the mid 90's when I rode the line. I wonder if that one still exists or not.

Also, as an update to the progress, the walls have all been repaired and siding installed on the outside. We are in the process of having the inside t&g milled for the inside. It is hoped to begin installing the inside paneling in the spring. Some time this summer we will move it to the final display spot where the cupola will be reinstalled. We have to wait until the final move or it will be too tall to move on it's own wheels. With the snow and cold, work has stopped for the time being.
 #899230  by Mr.S

After seeing the side door reminded me of the S &NY RR caboose. Would anyone have information on the EX S.&N.Y. RR caboose?
 #899521  by Alcophile

The B&H Caboose is still there, it's been thoroughly restored and there is no rot damage any more. It's on display outside of the Glenn Curtis Museum in Hammondsport. I have pictures which I'll try to post.
 #899707  by BSOR Patarak

A&A #303 is ex Susquehanna & New York #15. It currently on display in the parking lot at Arcade. It too is seeing some work this winter. Both sliding doors are being replaced and it will get a good scrape and fresh paint this year. In the near future, it will require some siding work, but the paint will help it until we can begin work on that.

As for details on it, I don't have too many. It was purchased by the A&A in 1943 and was sold off in 1982. I know that it came from the S&NY, but don't have any details of it's construction or if it was second hand to them. The trucks under it are marked 'PRR'. I'd be curious to know more about it myself.

#1260497  by Benjamin Maggi

Alcophile wrote:Is 304 a twin of the B&H (ex-Erie) caboose in Hammondsport? That one also has a large side door.
I recently purchased a slide from 1982 showing the B&H caboose. I bought it because it looked like the A&A caboose, though the #304 has been missing its cupola for a long time. The side door resemblance was remarkable though. I thought perhaps they were from the same builder.
 #1263469  by BSOR Patarak

Caboose 304 is just about finished and has been moved. It is now located right on Main Street in Arcade at the Little Red Caboose. The Friends would like to thank all those who have donated to the efforts to restore it, including all of the lumber inside. I have attached a couple of photos of the move and interior. The cupola has also been put back on. So to answer one of Ben's earlier questions, yes it is very similar to the B&H side door caboose. It was in the late 1950's that the A&A removed the cupola and it ran on the 1962 excursions. Shortly thereafter it was pulled from service and remained in Arcade, for many years boarded up. The Friends are still looking for donations to continue restoration efforts on this caboose and the display at Arcade. The wood siding and roof work will need attention on the 303 in the very near future! Also planned is to try and secure up the snow plow to preserve it as well.

Sometime this summer an announcement will be made for a "thank you" and welcoming party to celebrate the completion of #304.

inside wood work

delivery to it's new site

Pat Connors