Railroad Forums 

• Railfan Day! June 27-28

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#673559  by BSOR Patarak

The A&A announces the 2009 Railfan Photographers Special for June 27th and 28th, 2009.

Viscose #6 0-4-0 will visit Arcade for a special weekend. There will be double headed steam for the first time since 1967! Don't miss out on the opportunity to ride behind New York State's only two operational steam locomotives together in one place!

Plan on spending the day at Arcade as more is being planned for the weekend. As of now, the schedule is as follows:

Double Headed Photographers Special Run (on Saturday only) to depart Arcade at 8:00 a.m. with #18 and #6. Travel on rare passenger mileage as the train backs to Arcade Junction and then on to Curriers. This run will feature several photo run-bys at various locations along the line. Ticket Cost $28. This section is the last remaining piece of track from the Buffalo & Susquehanna Railroad in New York State and normally only sees freight traffic.

On Saturday and Sunday
#18 will pull the normal afternoon excursions to Curriers at 12:00 and 2:30; Ticket Cost $12
#6 will pull special shorter excursions from the Arcade Station towards the interchange departing at 12:30 and 3:00; Ticket Price $8
Be sure to ride both to see two different examples of steam locomotives.

An ice cream special will also be run at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday evening only. It is to be pulled by #6 and will cones or sundaes at Delightfuls on West Main Street. (Again on the old B&S R.O.W.) This a reservation only train. Call the station for details. This run is not included in the all day pass.

For Saturday there also is an all day pass that will be available to ride the photo special and any of the regular runs. Cost $38.

On Saturday evening, the Friends of A&A are planning a slide show highlighting early A&A excursions. This will be open to the public and more details are to follow.

Other A&A Equipment will be out on display for photographs as well.

The A&A is in the process of putting together a press package and getting all of the festivities listed on their website. Plan on making reservations early, all seating is on a first come, first serve basis. There are also additional events happening around town that are being added for all who visit. Contact the A&A directly to make reservations! We hope to see you all there!
 #673745  by joesbag

I reiterate what "the bigham" stated!!!!!

Thanks to you too, Pat!
 #674116  by thebigham

umtrr-author wrote:Great news!

Getting there for 8AM might be a challenge... any thoughts on local lodging recommendations for Friday night?
Nellie's Arcade Village Hotel
574 Main Street
Arcade, NY 14009
Phone: 585 492-3600

Springville has a Microtel. It's 20 minutes away.
 #674175  by Railroaded

Hey, just a friendly suggestion, A lot of us work on Saturday, the doubble header would be nice at least once on Sunday. More people have a Sunday off than a Saturday anyway,

-B in B
 #674939  by Benjamin Maggi

Count me in for both days. I will cut the check as soon as the details are finalized! This is absolutely amazing. Thanks Pat (and George and everyone else) for making this happen!
 #675128  by Benjamin Maggi

Might I also suggest parking #14 outside the engine house somewhere for photographs? Then, you would have THREE steam locomotives able to be viewed and enjoyed by the public.
 #675138  by BSOR Patarak

Otto,

Please do add it to the events! Everything is coming together nicely in the planning. We may even reletter 18 as "Boyne City Railroad"...

And Ben, That is a possibility along with having all of the equipment out where it can be photographed...

Pat
 #675142  by Otto Vondrak

BSOR Patarak wrote:Otto,

Please do add it to the events!
Hi Pat-

Unfortunately, I cannot add the event since I am not the organizer. If you or someone at ARA could take a moment to add the event to our calendar, it will go up ASAP. Thanks!

http://railroad.net/events/submitevent.php

-otto-
 #675261  by jgallaway81

The only bad part of this is the timing: 1) Short notice & 2) this is the day after the Railfest in Altoona
 #675375  by Mountcastle

I rode the 2:30 train on Sunday and I nearly had an aneurism when they announced the double-header on the 27th. "They restored 14!" I thought to myself. Then I realized that was impossible. Then I imagined I had imagined the whole announcement and I had to approach a conductor to confirm it. Then he explained that there would be a 'visiting' steam locomotive from Dunkirk.

What a wonderful event. Needless to say, I'm overjoyed and I can't wait to see this.
We may even reletter 18 as "Boyne City Railroad"...
PLEASE...change that "may" to "will"!

It's remarkable you should say that. I recently watched a YouTube video of a steam excursion railroad (can't recall which; maybe Strasburg) and the tender of the steamer was re-lettered "Norfolk and Western" to honor the railroad whence it came. And I thought to myself how great it would be if the A&A would do the same, at least for a few seasons.

At any rate, it's a great idea, Pat. I hope to see it.