Railroad Forums 

• Ticket from 1962

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#623897  by BR&P

Doing some weekend cleaning of old boxes etc and came across a "souvenir coupon", one adult round-trip ticket, dated October 13, 1962. It contains some humorous verbiage, a few excerpts of which follow:

"..your ride from Arcade NY to Curriers NY arranged through the courtesy of our far-seeing, progressive Board of Directors and the able management of the corporation, plus....the strength, ability and agility of our old 'steamer' No 18, born at Paterson New Jersey in 1920"

" [you} represent the most unusual commodity the A&A has carried in over 11 years......a human being - a commodity we have not carried since 1951. We have, however, been quite busy hauling lumber, maple syrup, milk, butter, cheese, cream, shoe lasts, etc..."

"On subsequent trips we are certain you will be amazed at our further refinements and growth."

"Please remove all cinders from your eyes and deposit them on the pile you will find along the steps when detraining at Arcade. We need them for improving the road bed."

Some 46+ years later, it's interesting that those 11 years without passengers turned out to be a mere blip in ARA corporate history.
 #624137  by reinhardtjh

BR&P wrote:
"Please remove all cinders from your eyes and deposit them on the pile you will find along the steps when detraining at Arcade. We need them for improving the road bed."
and that the roadbed was in need, even that long ago. ;)
 #624142  by BR&P

The price of the ride is not shown on the souvenir ticket but it could not have been more than a couple of dollars I'd guess. I should put the ticket up for sale. It would probably bring as much today as the trip itself cost back then! :-)
 #625827  by BSOR Patarak

In 1962, Adults 12 and Up were $1.50 and Children 6-11 were $.75!

I'd be interested in seeing the ticket. I don't think I've seen one with that wording on it....interesting. Thanks for sharing!