Railroad Forums 

• 1938 or 2008? What the ...

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#596882  by joesbag

Thanks for the info Pat. What a great ending to the 2008 excursion season indeed! Everyone at the RR should be thanked and should be really proud of their efforts. Can't wait to see her again in 2009.
 #596938  by jgallaway81

As Pat said, the rear-end is brought up by a 44-ton diesel numbered 111.
 #597026  by JT76

The Railroad should do this more often, even if its just a few times a season.. Not everyday you get to see a Steamer hauling a revenue freight in the 21st century. :-D
 #597056  by jgallaway81

JT76.. there is a reason for that. COSTS.

While it might not truly effect hte A&A, it is something to consider. I'd hate to have to cut the 2023 season short because 18's service time expired in the middle of August because they blew so many operating days away in the years previous.

Yes, its nice to see, and even cooler to find out this was a real case of using steam because there was no other power left available. But unless one intends to find away to cover the additional costs, it just doesn't make much sense.

The smart thing is to schedule a special photo freight, of the engine actually doing common carrier service. Run 112 and a couple cars ahead of the freight, and do runbys in a series of inaccessible locations... the valley @ the top of the grade, several farmer's fields, teh old Hakes family farm in Java.

So, the real question.. did 18 take the freight ALL the way or just to the Shops?

And if she went north, who got pictures? And more importantly, why aren't they being submitted to railpictures.net?
 #597168  by BSOR Patarak

18 did indeed pull the freight up to Curriers. 111 then took 3 up to North Java. The mill is pretty full, so they couldn't take any more. 18 ran around and deadheaded back to Arcade. Pictures will be submitted to several magazines.
 #597459  by thebigham

BSOR Patarak wrote:18 did indeed pull the freight up to Curriers. 111 then took 3 up to North Java. The mill is pretty full, so they couldn't take any more. 18 ran around and deadheaded back to Arcade. Pictures will be submitted to several magazines.
I take it the new passing siding at the mill is not done?
 #597565  by BSOR Patarak

Actually the new siding at the mill is done and in use. They just didn't have room at the interchange to bring back any empties. There were so many cars up there that they didn't need all 6 that day. They actually left 111 and 112 up there. This allowed more track time to the equipment working at Arcade. They were replacing track bolts north of Genesee Road and another crew tamping and lining from the shop to the interchange.
 #597620  by Benjamin Maggi

This might be a silly question, but why did it take both #18 AND #111 to pull a short freight train? Are their steep grades on the line? I don't know much about the tonnage ratings of engines, but it would seem to me that a modern consolidation engine should be able to handle that short train. I have heard that 44-tonners were not all that strong either, but could it not handle the short train either? Is it just to reduce wear or something? Thanks.
 #597628  by jgallaway81

Ben, I can tell you this... prior to 112's repower, she would be in full throttle with just four cars, and it was still a struggle.

I know this doesn't apply to the A&A, but running helpers on Horseshoe Curve, I learned that rear-end helpers are much more than just shoving. One thing a good rear-end crew will do is help keep the train stretched or bunched. Keeping the slack from free-rolling through the train infact burns less fuel/brakeshoes.

In this case, it might have just been a case of better safe than sorry. Since it has been fifteen-plus years since 18 was at Arcade Junction, it makes sense that the crew wouldn't know how she would handle with that type of tonnage and equipment, especially on the grades involved.

If memory serves (bear in mind, I was just a conductor trainee then, not learning train handling), its down grade from the junction to the crossing behind Yansick's. Then upgrade all the way to West Main, with it increasing just west of the crossing. Plus, there you have the curve as well. I don't remember the grade from West Main to Park, but I think its relatively flat. Then you have the really tight curve around the wye.

With the grade and curve combinations, combined with the unequal torque produced by a standard reciprocating steam engine and add in the train tonnage, it would be likely that 18 would have problems in certain spots, even with dry rail and sand. After the torturous endevour to get her back into service, I can only imagine the heartbreak

Figuring cars that are fully loaded at 286,000 pounds, a six car train would tally 858 tons. But, don't forget, 18 also has to deal with the tonnage of her tender, so lets say just about 900tons, (1.8 million pounds).

And, while I can't speak for the loaders & shippers, it isn't unheard of for a car to be overloaded, or under-reported.

Finally, 111 could simply have been along to provide a shove to keep the cars moving through curves where the risk of straight-lining exists.

I guess it boils down to: you'd have to ask Brad.
 #597629  by thebigham

BSOR Patarak wrote:Actually the new siding at the mill is done and in use. They just didn't have room at the interchange to bring back any empties. There were so many cars up there that they didn't need all 6 that day. They actually left 111 and 112 up there. This allowed more track time to the equipment working at Arcade. They were replacing track bolts north of Genesee Road and another crew tamping and lining from the shop to the interchange.
Thanks, Pat!

I'm thrilled business is so good and that the tracks are getting some much needed work.