Railroad Forums 

• Buffalo, Attica & Arcade coaches

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#599446  by Benjamin Maggi

I remember paying $25 for a copy around 2003 when EBay didn't really having much A&A related on it and thinking I got a steal. The next weekend I went to a RITMRC (Rochester train show) train show and found a copy of it, ALONG with a copy of "Coming on Strong," for $5/pair. Now I have several copies. In fact, I remember when you could search EBay and NOTHING would be A&A related for weeks. Now, with the economy the way it is, everyone is cleaning out closets, etc.
 #599489  by Mountcastle

Live and learn.

Oh, well, who cares; it's worth it. It's a wonderful resource telling, as it does, the story of the various railroads that have run up and down the line. And the abundance of images of the equipment used by those railroads, particularly, of course, the Arcade & Attica, is just remarkable.

Apropos to the topic of this thread, there was a B. A. & A. combine in use on the A&A for the longest time, along with one other combine (from where I can't recall). In answer to my question, the book shows that the passenger cars used by the Arcade & Attica (as such) did not bear the name of the railroad on their letterboards. They were simply left blank.

What a shame that neither of those combines was preserved. The former BA&A combine was just gorgeous and the other was quite unique, as well. And all of those beautiful locomotives scrapped! Horror.

While glancing at the book last night, I noticed that a number of pictures of the excursion train showed that lanterns were hung on both sides at the head of the first coach and at the rear of the last. Also, the locomotive bore two white flags in its stanchions on either side of the smokebox. Those were nice touches. A little more attention to detail today as then would be nice.
 #599627  by tomjohn

I think the Arcade Historical Society may be a of some help then again their is the railroad itself,if they will cooperate.
 #625950  by BSOR Patarak

Here is some samples of the lettering on the various coaches -

(Buffalo, Attica & Arcade, coach #4, became A&A #301) - Notice no "RAILROAD"

(A&A #302, early 1930s)

(A&A #302, 40's to end) - Notice the old "Arcade & Attica RR Corp" bleeding through paint

Most of the locomotives and freight rolling stock wore only "A&A #" with little spelled out.
 #628096  by Mountcastle

Fascinating. Thank you, Pat.

I'm surprised to see they went with "ARCADE & ATTICA R.R. CORP." on passenger equipment at one point. Unique, perhaps, but not necessarily the most elegant treatment. And then the next step was the minimalist "A.& A. R. R.". I wonder why "ARCADE & ATTICA" (or even "ARCADE AND ATTICA") didn't occur to them as the obvious way to go. Interesting.

I like the font they used on the B. A. & A. combine and I hope something similar is chosen for the lettering of the newly 'greened' A&A excursion coaches. It's also interesting to note that the B. A.& A. combine spells out the word 'and' rather than employ an ampersand. It would be interesting if they did the same for the 'new' coaches. That would look nice, actually, as it would stretch things out a bit, imparting, perhaps, a more sophisticated look.
 #628351  by tomjohn

Pat,

Wherever did you find those few pictures that you posted I have been searching just about everywhere to no avail. I am attempting to model a B.A.& A. RR and A. & A. RR train in N-scale.

Tom
 #628383  by Benjamin Maggi

Since Pat IS the A&A's official historian, I am sure (actually I know) that he has tons of great pictures and other materials that we could only drool over.
 #631341  by BSOR Patarak

I finally found my notes from a conversation that I had with Manly Hakes! He mentioned that the old wooden coaches of the A&A were painted a dark green. The first caboose was red.
 #633906  by Mountcastle

If I had taken notes from a conversation with Manley Hakes, they would probably read something like this:

"Then he just stared at me for about 30 seconds before turning to Brad as if to say, 'who the hell is he?' Then he expectorated. Then he turned a valve. Then he looked at me again. Then he turned around and turned another valve. Then he grinned mischievously, climbed up in his seat, looked at Brad again and gave two quick reports on the whistle. Then he looked at me again, then again at Brad as if to say, 'don't tell me this idiot's riding with us.' Then he expectorated again."