Railroad Forums 

• Modeling questions

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#533598  by steamfan6325

1) How many benches are in the gondola?

2) What types of freight cars does the A&A haul?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#533618  by jgallaway81

The questions regarding gondola seating is variable depending on era modeled.

My memory favors one long bench and one short bench, located centrally, parallel to the tracks.

However, I also recall a time when the car has no benches at all.

Until I can get up to Arcade sometime this summer, I can't say what the current design is.

For cars carried.... there are grain hoppers (whatever happens to be inbound. Yellow Chessie cat hoppers, restenciled for CSXT have been seen, as well as emerald green AGP hoppers.) The mill in N.Java also recieves tank cars for molasses.

additionally, both boxcars and center-sill bulkhead flats have been seen on the line in the recent past.

Any further questions? feel free to pipe up! We may get into some steamy debates about the railroad, but we don't byte.... hard.... frequently :-p

#533639  by steamfan6325

Sorry - forgot to mention that I'm interested in the current era.

I seem to recall two benches in the gon, but I can't remember for sure.

I'll post pictures of my modelling attempts at some point if anyone would be interested in them.

#533664  by reinhardtjh

Last summer (July 2007) there were two benches. Each approximately 6ft long. There was about a three foot gap between them. One faced to the left and the other to the right. They were oriented on the center line of the car and overall they were centered length-wise.

#533729  by Benjamin Maggi

If you want really up to date information, I will be there Memorial Day weekend and can take pictures or measurements or whatever. But, I doubt that have changed much since last July.

#534331  by steamfan6325

I'm going to be there the 24th also. I thought there were two benches, I just wanted to make sure. I'm not building exact models, just working towards "as close as possible" with what's available to me.

#537069  by steamfan6325

At this point I am more interested in the freight side of things. The passenger operations are fairly straightforward, but I don't know anything about the freight (other than what has been posted here).

I will be posting pictures of what I've done so far soon... stay tuned...

#537257  by jgallaway81

Steamfan... can you provide a bit about your efforts?

What scale you modeling in? IF HO, you can also utilize the RR's MoW equipment.

Also, are you modeling current time? If so, you will need the diesels in their current "Tigerstripes" paintscheme. If you are modelling say the mid-late 90's, then 111 will be wearing a beatup "CrewCut" scheme and 112 will be wearing its Colorado Springs "Sunburst" scheme.

Current freight is as was previously described, however a bit of research can reveil what other cars have been hauled in the past.

Pictures we'd appreciate!

Happy Railroading!

#538127  by steamfan6325

Time: current. Scale:HO. The "tigerstripes" are my personal favorite. So far I have a 44 tonner, 2 passenger cars, and a gondola. No pictures yet but I promise they're coming...

#538133  by jgallaway81

the gon has two benches, lined one after the other, running along the central axis of the car...

I got a batch of pics yesterday of the stuff in town, including the A&A's ex-Conrail ballast hoppers

#538197  by reinhardtjh

I got some pictures of the hoppers and the plow last summer, but they were overgrown with weeds so they aren't great shots. :wink:

#538278  by Benjamin Maggi

jgallaway81 wrote:If you are modelling say the mid-late 90's, then 111 will be wearing a beatup "CrewCut" scheme and 112 will be wearing its Colorado Springs "Sunburst" scheme.
I really love the "Crewcut" scheme, even though it WAS trashed by the end of 2002. Then again, it lasted since the 1970s so I would say it did well. Ever see a Southern Pacific engine last 10 years?

#538479  by steamfan6325

Finally some pictures. Not the greatest pictures but it gives an idea of what I've done so far.
ImageImage
ImageImage
By the way I forgot to say thanks to all for the help.

#538845  by Benjamin Maggi

Not bad at all. Nice to meet you this weekend. Keep up the good work!

#539036  by steamfan6325

Was nice to meet you as well, Ben.
I am getting decals soon, and will post pics as soon as they are "applied".