Railroad Forums 

• STEAM RETURNS MAY 24TH!!!

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#541036  by steamfan6325

F.Y.I.- the wiring has been fixed and the lights are now functioning properly.

#541339  by howie729

Last edited by howie729 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#541372  by steamfan6325

just having fun with a new photo editor- thought you might enjoy this

#541480  by thebigham

Thanks for the pics!

Looks like a train with only 2 coaches. That's usually the norm.

#541564  by jgallaway81

Two cars is pitiful. IF it pays for a train, it just barely does.

I remember running the numbers while I was there, and for steam it took two and a half cars to pay for a train when employee wages, taxes, benefits, percentage of capital improvements (ie: boiler washes and different inspection costs) maintenence and fuel were all included.

They need to do something to start improving revenues or the passenger business is going to bankrupt the road.
 #541624  by tomjohn

In my younger days I'll have to say 1969-1970's when I was first introduced to the ARCADE AND ATTICA RR and the Glorious hobby of railroading by my my mom,dad and brother Dan now in Corinth,NY. On one trip to Arcade I remember seeing the 2-8-0 pulling at least five to ten maybe twelve passenger coaches, another trip was the 4-6-0 with seven cars and that was a mixed train that was the late 1970's early 1980's.

Tom

#541669  by jgallaway81

Tom; the best either engine could pull (of A&A only cars) would have been eight. There are currently 3 combines and 3 coaches, and two steel cars were scrapped. Then the gondola.

I can't say that they never had some additional cars brought in for an excursion, but I dont know of any since the steam program was initiated.

But, from the descriptions of the public interest in the 60's & 70's, I'd say eight cars would have been possible, though I'd love to know how they managed to do the switching at either end.... though I have an idea.

#542516  by admiralwolf

jgallaway81 wrote:They need to do something to start improving revenues or the passenger business is going to bankrupt the road.
When I was there on Memorial Day, I overheard a crew member talking with a patron about the moderate turn out and why the road hadn't pushed too hard at making big announcements about the return to steam service.

According to what I overheard (remember, this is heresay, so don't hold me to it), they wanted to make sure all the major kinks were worked out and were going to hold some sort of press-day event around the start of summer (late June). I gather they intend to invite press from the major TV stations in Buffalo and Rochester, as well as the Buffalo News and other newspapers with good circulation. They didn't want to do it before the engineer and the crew were certain they'd be able to put out a good run for the P.R.

Which makes sense. The second run of the day on that Saturday started out about an hour and a half or so behind schedule due to a small technical difficulty. They overcame it and from what I heard later the rest of the run went well, but obviously if they're going to do a press announcement, they want to make sure they know all the possible issues and be ready to head them off.

I'm actually planning on advertising this at the school I teach at (plus I'm using it as a field trip this year, like I did last), and through some additional community groups in the area, but I wanted to see what sorts of official announcements are put out there so I don't misstate anything or give false / wrong information. I don't want to inadvertently do something to hurt the line that way.

Still, I can see the concern. They need to be able to pack those trains regularly... if they can get loads like I saw last year for the CW re-enactment (5 passenger cars nearly entirely full) then I think that the railroad can do well.

Of course, the problem these days is the price of getting to Arcade - gas prices... but obviously we all know how that is getting.

#542575  by jgallaway81

Adm. Wolf:

I agree completely. I wasn't just commenting on the weekend. Even if one trip a weekend was packed (all six cars) that would be better then before 18 went to bed in 2001.

My point is that so far, there has been NO indication that the road is going to do any better with the steamer then they did without. They need to think outside the box to develop business.

Thats the reason why I had a section on th ewebsite dedicated to helping business find a reason to move to Arcade & ship by rail.

Passenger service is great, but my question is why aren't they doing anything to expand freight revenue?

#542590  by admiralwolf

Yeah... makes me wonder what their plans are, too... is Reisdorf (sp) their only commercial customer at this point?

It's one of the things that's a struggle around here, and maybe someone else knows different, but the whole region (WNY, not just Arcade) is so economically depressed right now. Are their any ideas or any info about businesses looking for service in the region?

Just curious.
 #542643  by khojnacki

When I worked the 1975-77 seasons, we used four coaches and the gon as a regular consist. When we needed more, we would go back to the wye and pick up two more cars. The two derelict coaches were sitting on the wye, also. It seemed like we added the addtional two cars on Sundays the most, usually the second trip (we ran three trips then). So six coaches and the gon were the most we ever ran then, including the specials to Java Center.

We were using 14 then and she actually seemed easier to fire with 7 cars than 5. Probably a factor of better draft on the fire and the 14 being able to use more cutoff once it got up to speed than the 18 might.
 #542705  by swbudnack

jgallaway81 wrote:Tom; the best either engine could pull (of A&A only cars) would have been eight. There are currently 3 combines and 3 coaches, and two steel cars were scrapped. Then the gondola.

I can't say that they never had some additional cars brought in for an excursion, but I dont know of any since the steam program was initiated.

But, from the descriptions of the public interest in the 60's & 70's, I'd say eight cars would have been possible, though I'd love to know how they managed to do the switching at either end.... though I have an idea.
I found a 8mm (Silent) film my Dad took of #14 back in 1971 and seemed #14 was pulling lot of cars & seemed busy. I put it up on youtube if your interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRZrDRjwgoU

#542710  by jgallaway81

Took a quick look @ the video, and it looks like the train is 5 cars plus gondola.

Here is an idea for you all... how about four cars and twin gons... Wiht the engine facing opposite it is now...

The grade out TO curriers is lopnger then the grade coming out OF curriers... with the engine reversed, the smokebox (th epart that makes the chugs) would be against the train for a greater part of the trip.

As an aside, I've seen pics that show that gon in the 'north' position, but thats the first action shot/ video I've ever seen of it. Pretty neet to see the changes.

May all your signals burn green.