Railroad Forums 

• Ed Lewis book on EBay

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#516830  by Benjamin Maggi

Just thought I would let you guys know that a FIRST EDITION printing of the Edward Lewis book is on EBay right now. I am not the seller, and don't plan on bidding on it. If someone had already put a bid in, I also wouldn't post it and create more competition for him. However, as it is brand new, go to it guys. I am not sure how rare they are, but finding a First edition is a lot harder than a Second edition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARCADE-ATTICA-R-R-B ... dZViewItem

P.S. Try finding a THIRD EDITION! That is the toughest! :wink:

#516839  by reinhardtjh

EBay makes it tougher now to not bid against each other. They just changed their rules about showing names of bidders. Used to be they just showed the usernames of each bidder. Then they changed it so that if the item was worth more than a certain amount (IIRC around $2000) the bidder's usernames were encoded. Just recently they changed it so bidder's usernames are encoded on ALL auctions and only the winner's name is revealed after the end of the auction.

#517024  by BSOR Patarak

That's okay...I already have a few copies of the book. LOL! :D

No hard feelings!

#517038  by jgallaway81

Other then being able to say you have a copy... what's the great interest in the first edition? The second edition has so much more info and so many more pictures, it seems pointless to even buy the first edition.

But, thats just me, so... I guess its a silly question.

#517113  by Benjamin Maggi

Well, I want anything and everything related to the A&A, but that is just me. As for other people, it is a much smaller book (even in terms of paper dimensions). Still, I thought it nice to post in case someone was looking for one. I purchase my 2nd edition after several years of looking through EBay a couple of years ago, then went to the RIT's train show and found another copy there for about $5! So, now I have two.

#517252  by jgallaway81

Excellent steal on the second edition.

I didn't mean to create any negative implications. Though I guess I can see where some could be inferred.

I simply meant that as an observation, I personally would wait until a second edition became available, however, looking back, I can't say anything because I also started out with a first edition.
 #517312  by BSOR Patarak

In this first edition, or half size version that carried Harry Douglas's name on it, the text is almost completely the same. I always wondered how much of the writing or research Mr. Harry Douglas provided on the first one and why his name didn't appear on the second?

The expanded full size version or second edition added many pictures and the paper material. There was a tiny amount added covering 1966-1971 or so. Of course, I like the added photos better too though.

I wonder how many printings there actually was of the larger book? I know there was a hard cover printed at the time of the first large size. The paper back version I've seen in two versions, one with passes on the back cover and one with local advertising. Are there any others you have seen?

Also, there is the "third" version that the Western New York RR Historical Society put out in 1981. It is the thinner full size paperback with the brown cover. Titled "Comin' on Strong - The Arcade and Attica Railroad", it was sold at the depot right up until they were sold out recently. It gives a slightly different account of the early days, though is more general about the history.

Actually my first copy was the first edition too. I used to drool over the hard copy version of the second edition at the Arcade Library when I was young. I finally found a copy of it at an antique shop in Olean. Since then, many of the soft covers have changed hands on ebay. It is good to let fans know when they are up. I try to get an extra copy or two for people that I know are looking for them.

Pat

#517619  by Benjamin Maggi

I didn't realize "Coming on Strong" was a third edition copy. I own two. One I got for the same $5 that the other book came with. The other I got on EBay, but in my haste to open the package I ripped the corner off of every page of the book. DOH!

I had no idea that there was a hardcover version of the 2nd Edition out there. Back to EBay...

#517633  by BSOR Patarak

I got thinking...The thin brown WNY Book isn't really a "third editioin" as it isn't related to Ed Lewis's work. It was compiled by society members of the Kocis family from the A&A and WNYRHS Archives. It wasn't just a rewrite, though I'm sure the Lewis book was used for reference. It was still the third book dedicated to the A&A though.

Pat

#518053  by Benjamin Maggi

Pat, I know what you mean. In my opinion, they are very different. Both are still good resources, and full of great pictures.
 #606628  by BSOR Patarak

I noticed one more thing worthy of note on the "2nd Edition" 1972 version by Ed Lewis. There were three versions that I know of. I just don't know if they were printed at the same time in the same run? One hard cover and two soft cover. The most common I've seen is a version that has various annual passes on the back cover. There is also a version that has local advertising on the inside front and back covers as well as the back where the passes should be. I just received one off of Ebay and was pleasantly surprised that it was one with the advertising on it!