Railroad Forums 

• New foundation for Curriers depot?

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#503558  by Otto Vondrak

From the new ARA website:
Curriers Depot, Curriers, N.Y.
February 2008 - In order to preserve our historic station for the enjoyment of generations to come "she" was lifted,carefully excavated beneath,tiled, stoned and sat back down on new piers - Ready to receive visitors for the next 90 years!!
That's good news! It's a neat little depot. Suprised there was no mention of the work on this forum?

-otto-

#503564  by reinhardtjh

Cool! I wonder if it was in the Arcade Herald? I would guess it was the A & A that did the work. Is the station on any historic buildings list such that NYS would help pay for preservation?

They need to do some work on the Arcade station too.

#503570  by Otto Vondrak

Eh, "Landmarks Status" is a double-edged sword. While it helps protect a building in some respects, it can limit what you can do to a building and how you do it. If the building was ever to be renovated or restored, there would be some strict guidelines to adhere to...

#503986  by JT76

Otto Vondrak wrote:Eh, "Landmarks Status" is a double-edged sword. While it helps protect a building in some respects, it can limit what you can do to a building and how you do it. If the building was ever to be renovated or restored, there would be some strict guidelines to adhere to...
+1
My fathers house has landmark status.. it took a couple years for approval for a swimming pool :-D

its nice to hear that the A&A is keeping up with the maintainence, i havent been up there in years.

#504652  by BSOR Patarak

Next to firing up old number 18, this is the biggest commitment to the passenger operations that I have seen in a long time. I'll post pictures of the depot shortly.

The sad thing on the A&A is that every piece of equipment and structure is in serious need of repair. Age, time and deferred maintenance add up after awhile. This is great to see one piece be saved. There is a lot more to do. Hopefully with the steamer and an increase in passengers, more can be put back into the property to ensure it lasts even longer.

Also, be looking for some activity from the Friends of A&A this spring. We hope to move on a couple of projects now that the steamer is looking like a reality. I'll start a new topic later to talk more about the Friends as I know it has been questioned on the forum a few times before.

#504763  by BSOR Patarak

Work being done includes drain tile installed under it, new concrete piers and beam repair on the bottom side. It was pretty amazing how it straightened the floor right out and the shape of the wood that was there. It will still need window and siding repair. At a later date, the bay window and roof will need replacing also. At least now it has a chance to dry out under it.
Last edited by BSOR Patarak on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

#505544  by thebigham

Thanks, Pat, for the pictures!

It's amazing to see it up so high.

#505561  by Otto Vondrak

Wow, thanks for posting that picture. Glad to see the old depot is still holding up. It looked a little rough around the edges the last time I saw it, but still in good shape.

-otto-

#506034  by conrail71

WOW!!! Talk about high level platforms!!! :wink:

Mike

#506229  by Mike Walsh

I think Otto can reach! :)

#506776  by RailKevin

Otto Vondrak wrote:Glad to see the old depot is still holding up.
I hope it's not "held up" too much longer. :-D :-D :wink:

#506928  by BSOR Patarak

I believe that it is back down on it's new foundation now. Luckily it did hold up against a couple of those wind storms we had recently!