Railroad Forums 

• ARA Steam Engine #18 Status Update

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#528960  by Benjamin Maggi

Stunning. That is the word for her. I was going to say "I need a copy of that picture" but then I realized it isn't a past negative. It is how she currently looks! I am not sure if I have ever seen a steam locomotive look that good. Yes, I understand all about the #8444 and the #4449 and others, but to me, this is one beautiful engine. The railroad, and the Friends of the Railroad, have really outdone themselves.

Sign me up for a weekend of taking pictures when she is ready to go!
 #529508  by khojnacki

18 looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the pix. I know Manley would have loved to see it.

#529510  by thebigham

Yes, #18 looks GREAT!!
 #568141  by tomjohn

ARCADE AND ATTICA RR #18 does look good,now what about the 4-6-0 ? Is she in good condition,can she be steamed up if necessary or does she need an overhaul/rebuilding ?

Tom
 #571991  by ddk375

My wife and I took the afternoon steam excursion on August 17th. What a glorious trip! We also noted the impressive amount of track work that has been done, and is still underway. An observation - #18 generates a LOT of smoke - am surprised that NIMBYs haven't complained.

David
 #572007  by jgallaway81

I talked with Brad and Jim on Saturday when I was up.

It's basic economics... soft coal runs less then half/ton delivered than low-sulfur coal. Without packing the trips every weekend, its just too expensive to buy the higher quality stuff.

But, she sure smelled and sounded good. It was good to see the old girl under steam once again.
 #572458  by Benjamin Maggi

When my wife and I rode this May, she decided to get "dollied" up with a nice white blouse. Had I known ahead of time I would have warned her. Needless to say, she did not leave Arcade nice and white and clean! It didn't help that I wanted to ride in the gondola for the entire trip! Oh well, that is what washing machines are for. :-D
 #747254  by jgallaway81

Well: I guess, all things considered, that it time to re-activate this thread.

Pat, whats the latest on 18?

(besides, no one else seems interested in posting)
 #766463  by BSOR Patarak

The steam manifold that cracked has been repaired. A local machine shop fabricated a whole new piece from one chunk of steel. It will be reinstalled in the spring and a hydro-test completed to return her to steam this season. There are no other major concerns that need attention at this time, only minor things such as perhaps a stay bolt or two. With winter set in, forces in the shop are reduced and pretty much only plowing and freight trains for now.