Railroad Forums 

• A&A track maintainence

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#214548  by Mattliverpool

I truly enjoy this wedsite that features the Arcade and Attica. I just have a few questions for anyone that can help.

Who does track maintence on the Arcade and Attica?

Is their any rolling equipment is being used by the railroad. Like box cars,etc.

Is there any pictures of derailments, old or new which I can see or obtain?
I should have said any derailments at all?

Thank you for all your help. I really enjoy this part of this website.

Matt

#215266  by Benjamin Maggi

Good questions! I do not claim to be an expert, but from what I have researched this is what I know:

1. The railroad employees themselves do the track maintenance, usually on days that they are not running. In their tiny yard at Arcade you can see some of their track equipment, though I cannot tell you the exact names of it.

2. I don't believe that the A&A has anymore home cars that serve in interchange service, though through the seventies and maybe eighties they had orange and white 40-foot boxcars that they exchanged with other railroads.

3. I don't know if they have had any derailments, but I am sure they must have due to their track condition. No documentation or photos exist that I know of. I do have a weird photo where on of the train's grain cars hit a truck parked on the inside of the curve in the parking lot across from the Station in Arcade. No damage to the train car, though, and I never looked at the truck. The train crew never saw it because it was far back. It only grazed the rear view mirror.

Hope all of this helps!

#220731  by tjhakes

I have photo's of derailment from my grandfather. He talked about it happening when he was young. I'll see what I can find. Tom Hakes

#221802  by BSOR Patarak

Ben is correct, the A&A crews do all of the track work, train running and equipment repairs as they can.

Track equipment includes a Jackson tie inserter, ballast regulator, a switch tamper, larger production tamper and a back hoe. These have really sped up the track work progress. In the past, much of the work was done by hand. So it is easy to see why things don't always look like they are being repaired.

One thing to keep in mind with the A&A is that it has always been a shortline. Meaning that it's right of way was always in poor condition. Often filled with cinder base and second hand materials that were available. Many attempts were made at upgrades through the years. If you look at other shortlines that have taken over lines from larger roads, they generally tend to start with a better base, heavier rails and tie plates. The A&A "upgraded" to the 70 pound rail around the time of the demise of the B&S.

There is a section of 100 pound rail that was installed in the early 1980's that extends from Main Street, Arcade north for about one mile. There have been several grants that have improved things such as the bridge at Arcade, ties and crossings. Over the past several years and the help of State Grants, the A&A crews have purchased the added equipment and materials and really made a difference in some spots. The Reisdorf Mill has upgraded most of it's tracks and switches to 105. (Much of this acquired from the South Buffalo). Of course there is much more to do.

Drainage is another head ache that needs constant attention. As this is addressed, areas can be picked up out of the mud, ballast added and things straightened a bit.

Pat Connors