Railroad Forums 

• Photo Charter: October 26 & 27 2015

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#1317230  by thebigham

http://www.dynamopro.net/#!arcade--atti ... 2015-/crhi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Event Highlights

- Two days of photo oppurtunities

- Steam and diesel runbys

- Night session

- Rare milage

- South facing runbys with steam

- Period props and actors

On this event you'll have the oppurtunity to photograph and film the A&A's historic steam locomotive and first generation diesels. This event will include period props and actors on both days. A night photo session will be held on the 26th. Lunch will be provived on both days of the event.

Day 1:

October 26th: The railroad's 2-8-0 Consolidation, number 18, will be powering our train and operating photo run-bys at various locations along the line. This will include the use of rare mileage. For the afternoon session, the 18 will be turned around on the Arcade wye, offering a rare oppurtunity to see the 18 operating southbound. This will eliminate all backlit shots, and will ensure great photo opportunities all day long. The day will conclude with a night photo shoot at the Arcade Shop area open only to event attendees. The night session will feature runbys and staged shots with 18 and diesels 111, 112, and 114 at the Arcade shop facility.

Day 2:

October 27th: We will be focusing on the A&A's GE 44 tonner, number 111, the only engine built for the A&A to still operate. The 111 rarely runs, and is a highly saught after sight on the A&A. No. 111 will be hauling our charter train north of Curriers to perform numerous photo runbys at several locations. As a mostly freight operated section, this will be rare mileage for passengers and rare for a passenger train to be seen on. (112 will be subsituted in if 111 is not operational)

The two day ticket price of $155 grants you access to all events on both the 26th and 27th. You'll have plenty of opportunities to capture both steam and first generation diesels on the A&A in the beautiful fall color season.
 #1322016  by thebigham

Some changes. #112 will now be the power on Day 2:

http://www.dynamopro.net/#!arcade--atti ... 2015-/crhi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schedule

The charter train will depart the Arcade depot on the 26th at 7am and return at 4pm, the night session will run between 8pm to 10pm.

The October 27th charter train will depart the Arcade depot at 12 noon, and return at 5pm.

Day 1, October 26th: The railroad's 2-8-0 Consolidation, number 18, will be powering our train and operating photo run-bys at various locations along the line. This will include the use of rare mileage. For the afternoon session, the 18 will be turned around on the Arcade wye, offering a rare oppurtunity to see the 18 operating southbound. This will eliminate all backlit shots, and will ensure great photo opportunities all day long. The day will conclude with a night photo shoot at the Arcade Shop area open only to event attendees. The night session will feature runbys and staged shots with 18 and diesels 111, 112, and 114 at the Arcade shop facility.

Day 2, October 27th: We will be focusing on the A&A's GE 65 tonner, number 112. The 112 will be hauling our train north of Curriers to perform numerous photo runbys at several locations. As a mostly freight operated section, this will be rare mileage for passengers and rare for a passenger train to be seen on. Props and actors will be used to set the scene of a transition era rairload on this day as well.
 #1322321  by Benjamin Maggi

Aww, that is unfortunate. As a die-hard fan of #111, I was thinking of signing up just to get to see it again. Who knows how much it will be used with #112 and #114 (or whatever they renumber it) on the roster. I can see #112 anytime I am in the area, but #111 was a special treat. I was considering signing up but I just don't know anymore.
 #1354924  by Benjamin Maggi

I think rotating #18 was a great idea. I have advocated doing it at previous Shareholder's meetings as a way to draw in photographers for a special weekend. However, let's be honest... the A&A runs the same trains for most of the year and they are either passenger trains (in orange, green, or both) or freight trains (with tank cars, covered hoppers, or both). Any railfan who has visited the line in the past decade likely has shots of all of these trains. Most areas are easily accessible without trespassing. In short, there isn't much "new" for the A&A to offer diehard photographers who want to pay $100+ to take pictures. There are opportunities for #18 pulling a mixed train, but that doesn't appeal to everyone.

If they are looking for ideas to attract more people, in addition to rotating #18, I would suggest putting a boxcar or a flat car or the caboose (or the plow) in the consist. I have dozens of pictures of the centercabs pulling short trains of covered hoppers or tank cars. Rarely does the A&A get a boxcar or flatcar in.

Running a mixed train and taking the public to Residorf's is a great idea too. I would love to ride a mixed train. But to take more pictures of the same? Pass.
 #1356711  by thebigham

^Those are great ideas.

Here comes the "BUT."

The condition of the tracks between Curriers and North Java prevent any kind of passenger service at all until repairs are made.

The boxcars online are all so old that the FRA might not allow them to be used. Maybe they can be used as long as they are not carrying a load?

Most of the boxcars now sit on unconnected tracks.

The two boxcars that remain on A&A rails at North Java are off the tracks due to a runway hopper car.

Imagine #111 (more likely #112), an A&A boxcar and a coach going to North Java. I would pay to ride that train!
 #1357005  by Benjamin Maggi

Bigham:
Yup. I know why it isn't practical at this point. I was only speculating why people aren't willing to pay for the same photos year after year.
 #1366671  by Bartman-tn

I ran a photo and mileage charter on the A&A line back in 2010 and the photos were terrific. October just has so much to compete against, and its a two-day drive for me. This is why I set up events on six railroads over seven days back in 2010.

One comment about older freight equipment. If the car is older than 50 years old, it cannot be used without an FRA waiver. The waiver process is pretty automatic these days, but you have to go through the process. Even cars just used for a photo freight are considered as in "revenue service" by the FRA. This has really impacted those of us who have operated photo freights for decades as few excursion railroads focus on freight cars.