Railroad Forums 

• Attention Moderators - New User Moderation

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#913633  by Jeff Smith

First, I appreciate everything that the moderators do. It's a tough job, and I appreciate the help.

Some of you I've had the pleasure of communicating with already. If I haven't had a chance yet, I apologize. It's a part-time job, so performing my daily duties takes up quite a bit of that time. If you have any immediate concerns, PM me.

Also, If I could ask a favor of you when moderating new users: if while approving posts from 'bonafide members', you determine a post from a new user in your forum is spam, I ask that you NOT disapprove the post or take any action. While the post is in a pending status, it is not visibile in the forums in any case.

By taking no action on the post, you allow me a chance to ban the email or domain address used to generate the spam and delete the user. I check the queue on mostly a daily basis, so it's no problem for me to do. By all means, continue to approve valid posts.

Thanks again,

Jeff Smith
Site Admin
 #923807  by Jeff Smith

Thanks again to all volunteer moderators for your help! I wanted to update you on how it's going.

First, thanks to those members and moderators who have tipped me to the "birthdays" listing at the bottom of the page. I checked the users listed today, and only 2 appeared to be valid out of about 12; the rest had no posts, and odious links and signatures indicating they were spam accounts.

Second, I check the moderation queue (sp?) at least a minimum of two or three times a day. I catch most of the spammers here, and just as an FYI, I generally ban by email or domain, and then delete the user's accounts and posts.

Lastly, I've purged quite a few inactive users over the last few weeks. Generally, if you have not been active in the last two years, I've deactivated the accounts.

Thanks again to all!

Jeff