Railroad Forums 

• Redirecting Ads

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#906974  by boatsmate

This has been very agravating to me as It was going directly to the add every time I came to the web site (rr.net) and needed to go back about 10 times before I could even look at the site.. I understand the need for advertising but this is getting bad.... please tell me how to make it stop bofore I just delete the site completly

Capt Bill
 #908067  by GOLDEN-ARM

ads? what ads? you are running firefox, with adblock plus, arent you? i see no ads at all here, or anywhere else, if i dont want to. ads only slow you down....... :P
 #908078  by 3rdrail

It's a royal pain. If you leave a page, you often get those dopey idiots in your face again. I hope the company is reading my post: Trust me that when I tell you that because of your obnoxiousness, I would no sooner engage your product than I would turn into Britney Spears. I want to punch that geeky kid with no cheeks !
 #955963  by Jeff Smith

This bugs me, too. I think sometimes, if you have a laptop, it's the sensitivity of the touch pad near were you (w)rest your wrist.

I don't know if it's an issue with Google Analytics or not. I know the ads are a pain, but the developer has to pay the bills. I won't advocate getting ad-blocker for obvious reasons out in the main threads, and they don't really bother me that much.

Thanks for your patience.
 #956982  by umtrr-author

Somewhat OT since it doesn't pertain to this site in particular, but I have noticed an uptick in the aggressiveness of ads, especially pop-unders and screen-fillers.

One in particular cannot be exited; a hard shutdown of IE8 is needed. Yes, I should probably switch back to Firefox...
 #957228  by MEC407

I hear ya'. When I visit railpictures.net, often there are pop-ups / pop-unders that come up (even though I have Firefox's pop-up blocker enabled), and if I attempt to close them it either spawns another pop-up or brings up a dialog box asking me if I'm really sure that I want to close it, and if I click OK, sometimes yet another dialog box will come up. Unbelievably annoying. Who in their right mind would actually purchase a product or service from a company that uses that type of advertising tactic?

At least the banner ads here on railroad.net aren't ambushing us!
 #1046565  by 25Hz

I have a huge issue with pop-up ads as on ios there are no ad blockers. The ad opens an additional browser window, and if you have all 8 allotted windows it will take over and close one of those windows. This would affect iPad & iPod touch as well as all iPhone models. This is a real problem, please fix?
 #1046594  by charlie6017

25Hz wrote:I have a huge issue with pop-up ads as on ios there are no ad blockers. The ad opens an additional browser window, and if you have all 8 allotted windows it will take over and close one of those windows. This would affect iPad & iPod touch as well as all iPhone models. This is a real problem, please fix?
Good luck, my friend..........

Charlie
 #1046700  by MEC407

25Hz wrote:I have a huge issue with pop-up ads as on ios there are no ad blockers. The ad opens an additional browser window, and if you have all 8 allotted windows it will take over and close one of those windows. This would affect iPad & iPod touch as well as all iPhone models. This is a real problem, please fix?
Are you using Safari on your iOS device? You might try using a different web browser, such as Opera, which is available for iOS and Android. I use it on my phone and it works quite well. It's also very fast and does a great job of reducing my data consumption without affecting the quality or usability of the sites I visit.

http://www.opera.com/mobile/