Railroad Forums 

• How long have you been on railroad.net

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#983784  by charlie6017

Otto Vondrak wrote:That may not be entirely correct. The original RAILROAD.NET administered by John Stewart had a feature called the "Disney bounce." Stewart could block your IP and redirect you to Disney if you had violated policy or otherwise annoyed him. Remember the old site had no moderators except for the owner.

-otto, a past victim of the disney bounce
I also was a victim of the Disney Bounce!

Charlie
 #1640319  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: With Railroad.Net reaching its 20th Anniversary of this incarnation it seems appropriate to bring
this topic back after reading these posts from some members who were active at the previous site along with
those such as myself who joined after the beginning dates of March 11-12, 2004...

I joined 19 years and one month ago after finding out about RR.Net from a fellow rail enthusiast who was not
a member but found the forums very informative as I did back then...An early requirement was to have Email
which initially I had no access to until I found out about services such as Yahoo! offering free Email signups...
Had I known the protocol to become a RR.Net member I would have joined up earlier back in 2004...

I joined RR.Net to contribute and be part of what has turned into a mostly positive experience over my years
as a member - I made a vow to myself that if this became negative that I would no longer participate here...

Railroad.Net has been a success story over this 20 year history - the statistics speak for themselves:
1.5 million posts (to be reached later in 2024) and 100,000 topics (2024-2025?) are attainable milestones...

In Closing: Congratulations, RR.Net...MACTRAXX
 #1640323  by Gilbert B Norman

I've been around here since June 1999, when I first joined the site with dial-up.

I served as the sole Moderator of the Amtrak Forum for two defined terms after Mike and Otto bought the site. No question whatever I was "tough" because I wanted to set a standard which I think still prevails with forum moderation here today. It seemed as if most criticism of my terms was leveled at me at other sites "he's just a tool to kill Amtrak"; "it's his job to promote Amtrak, not detract it".

I wanted to do my part to formulate a site from which constructive discussion could move forth and from which Amtrak management could review and perhaps find some ideas to enhance their stewardship of the property. Of course, Social Media was in its infancy at that time, and its standards of conduct had hardly set in upon the entire internet as such has today. On that note, I was "first kid on the block" with a mobile phone, having a permanently mounted "car phone" since '85.

I joined the site largely because I had eleven years holding non-Agreement positions ('70-'81) with a Class I and I thought I had first hand industry knowledge, without breaching privity, that I could share. Today, such is hardly the case, as after leaving the industry end of 1981, I started my third career (first was military service) in private practice as a CPA. I last did compensated work March 2017.

But coming up on 83yo, there is only one way - the wrong way - my health is now going. This has greatly curtailed my desire and capacity to travel about. But I'm still here (and the site will know it when I'm not) and I wish the owners the best.
 #1640376  by eolesen

I'm a short timer here - only 14 years... I might have had an account earlier on an email address I gave up in the 2007-2009 timeframe...

I have to admit, I'm liking the idea of the Disney bounce for our banned and otherwise unwelcome visitors... if that starts happening at Trainsim.Com you'll know why....

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk