Railroad Forums 

• Browsing Railroad.net on Mobile Devices

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#684951  by GP40MC 1116

I was just curious if anyone here besides myself has ever tried to access this section or the Railroad.Net site in general with a mobile device? I have gotten mixed results when I tried to use it before. At times it did work OK, but other times it performed less than amazing.I highly doubt that Otto and Mike will ever make a Railroad.net Mobile site, as I believe everything comes under our forum company phpBB. It would be quite interesting seeing how everyone these days uses mobile internet on a phone.
 #684952  by oknazevad

Before I got my iPhone I used to follow the boards on my old cellphone via Google's mobile accelerator, which shows a stripped down, text-only version of the site. The full html version was just too slow, and would have absolutely destroyed my bills. (That's the one of the best parts of switching to the iPhone, unlimited data plan!)
 #684965  by MBTA3247

phpBB-based forums such as this one generally work alright on the iPhone/iPod touch. However, it would be nice to have a skin that was optimized for mobile devices, and which would automatically be used whenever someone logged in from such a device (i.e. you wouldn't have to go into the UCP to switch to it).
 #707370  by Plate F

It shouldnt be too hard to create an iPhone app that converts phpbb forums to a simplified page. Or are there perhaps modules you can install on the backend?
 #709567  by MEC407

A lot of the major news web sites have mobile versions that are basically just a stripped down version of their regular site. Not only does this make the site easier to browse on a small screen, but it also makes it faster for those whose mobile devices don't have (or can't connect to) 3G or WiFi.

Fortunately, RAILROAD.NET is pretty clean and uncluttered to begin with. I do wonder if there is a phpBB add-on that could be quickly and easily installed, in order to create a stripped down "mirror" version of the site for mobile users.
 #719588  by RailsEast

I've had a Blackberry 8130 for awhile now, with Verizon Broadband Access, and all content here comes up just as it does on my home PC. No trouble logging in or posting messages; in fact, all of my 'sightings from the road' postings are sent from my phone. Granted, it's a bit pricey (900 minutes, unlimited text, full Internet = $105/mo), but it has never failed me, and I am very happy with it.